NEW HAVEN, Conn. – No. 1 Harvard men's squash (12-0, 6-0 Ivy) clinched a share of the 2020 Ivy League championship with its 9-0 win over No. 7 Yale on Sunday. The Crimson improved its record against the Bulldogs to 78-21 all-time and captured its fifth consecutive win over its Ivy League foe. Harvard will have a chance to clinch the Ivy title outright next Saturday, when it travels to Ithaca, New York for a battle with the Cornell Big Red.
Senior co-captain Timothy Brownell and junior Adam Corcoran got the action started for the Crimson, as the duo registered a pair of 3-0 wins to give Harvard a 2-0 lead. Victor Crouin's 3-1 win at the first pairing gave Harvard a 3-0 lead that it would not surrender.
Shutout wins from George Crowne, Marwan Tarek and Samuel Scherl clinched the 12th win of the season for the Crimson. Co-captain Saadeldin Abouaish and first-years Ayush Menon and Liam Rotzoll added wins to bring the point total to nine.
- Harvard outscored the Bulldogs, 27-3.
- Samuel Scherl and Saadeldin Abouaish won their 12th matches of the season to keep their perfect seasons alive with a pair of wins.
- Scherl extended his dual-match win streak to 28, a team high.
- Abouaish also extended his personal win streak to 23 matches.
- The Crimson remains unbeaten at the top six positions in the lineup, posting a cumulative record of 72-0.
- Harvard earned its ninth-straight road victory.
- The nation's top-ranked team is now a combined 105-3 in individual matches in 2019-20.
- Harvard has now posted nine shutout wins on the season.
Harvard will travel across town to Tufts University for a weeknight tilt with the 24th-ranked Jumbos. The match is set to be played Wednesday, Feb. 12, at 5 p.m.
Harvard – 9, Yale – 0
- Victor Crouin def. Spencer Lovejoy, 3-1 (9-11, 11-7, 11-9, 11-3)
- Marwan Tarek def. Harrison Gill, 3-0 (11-3, 11-6, 11-2)
- Saadeldin Abouaish def. Siow Yee Xian, 3-1 (11-8, 6-11, 11-8, 3-7 RE)
- Samuel Scherl def. Calvin McCafferty, 3-0 (11-8, 11-8, 11-3)
- Timothy Brownell def. Eric Kim, 3-0 (11-4, 11-9, 13-11)
- George Crowne def. Jed Burde, 3-0 (11-5, 11-7, 11-7)
- Adam Corcoran def. Tyler Carney, 3-0 (11-2, 11-3, 11-6)
- Ayush Menon def. Jacob Rhee, 3-0 (11-5, 11-2, 11-4)
- Liam Rotzoll def. Janson Chu, 3-1 (7-11, 12-10, 11-2, 11-2)