No. 5 Crimson Opens With 9-0 Victory at No. 13 Brown
Pictured: William Ahmed won at the No. 9 slot against
Photo courtesy: Gil Talbot Photography
PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- The fifth-ranked Harvard men's squash team opened its season with an impressive, 9-0, victory at No. 13 Brown Friday evening. The Crimson dropped only two games in the entire match to earn its first victory of the year.
With the teams using a five-court system, Richard Hill posted a 3-0 victory against Brad Thompson, winning 11-4, 11-5, and 11-5 at the No. 2 slot. J. Reed Endresen followed with a 3-0 sweep at the No. 4 position against Eamon O'Connor. Endresen downed O'Connor, 11-7, 11-4 and 11-6 to take the win. At No. 6, Franklin Cohen dismissed William Bryan in three straight games, taking the first two, 11-5, before clinching the match with an 11-9 win in game three.
Harvard continued to roll at the No. 8, as Alexander Ma earned his first career victory, downing Alex Heitzmann. Heitzmann won game one, 11-9, but Ma rebounded to take the next three 11-5, 11-8 and 11-5. At the No. 1 spot, Colin West, ranked second in the CSA individual rankings to start the season, handed Adrian Leanza a 3-0 defeat, winning 11-4, 11-4, 12-10.
Freshmen Zeke Scherl and Jason Michas rolled at No. 3 and No. 5, respectively, in their first collegiate matches. Scherl defeated Patrick Davis 11-0, 11-2, 11-6, and Michas won in three straight games against Christopher Holter 13-11, 11-2, 11-0. The Crimson closed out the match with victories by Alex Lavoie over Adam Greenberg, 3-1 (14-12, 10-12, 11-5, 11-2) and William Ahmed, who faced Alexander Hsu (11-4, 11-6, 12-10).
The Crimson will visit No. 10 Williams Sunday in a match beginning at 2 p.m.
1. Colin West (H) def. Adrian Leanza (B) 3-0: 11-4,11-4,12-10
2. Richard Hill (H) def. Brad Thompson (B) 3-0: 11-4,11-5,11-5
3. Zeke Scherl (H) def. Patrick Davis (B) 3-0: 11-0,11-2,11-6
4. J. Reed Endresen (H) def. Eamon O'Connor (B) 3-0: 11-7,11-4,11-6
5. Jason Michas (H) def. Christopher Holr (B) 3-0: 13-11,11-2,11-0
6. Franklin Cohen (H) def. William Bryan (B) 3-0: 11-5,11-5,11-9
7. Alex Lavoie (H) def. Adam Greenberg (B) 3-1: 14-12,10-12,11-5,11-2
8. Alexander Ma (H) def. Alex Heitzmann (B) 3-1: 9-11,11-5,11-8,11-5
9. William Ahmed (H) def. Alexander Hsu (B) 3-0: 11-4,11-6,12-10