Men's Soccer Outdone in Overtime by No. 24 Dartmouth, 1-0

Mendez made three saves versus the Big Green (Gil Talbot).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – No. 24 Dartmouth broke a scoreless tie in the 99th minute to steal a victory from the Harvard men's soccer team Saturday evening at Jordan Field.

The teams played evenly until Amadu Kunateh's golden goal came with less than two minutes remaining in the first overtime period. Kunateh played a perfect header to the far post off Justin Donawa's corner kick, sneaking the ball past Evan Mendez in goal.

The loss drops Harvard to 7-6-2 overall and 3-2-0 in the Ivy League, and gives Dartmouth (9-4-1, 5-0-0 Ivy League) a six-point cushion over the Crimson in the Ancient Eight standings.

Mendez was strong in goal despite taking the defeat, making three saves while expertly choreographing the defensive structure. Jake Freeman led the attack with three shots, including two on goal, as Harvard held a slight 13-12 edge in shots.

Both teams had chances early with Freeman's shot in the fourth minute careening off the cross bar. Oliver White's attempt in the 18th minute was smothered by Dartmouth goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland, who finished with seven saves, and the Big Green followed shortly thereafter with a pair of looks that went just wide.

Harvard's best opportunity came in the 42nd minute as Michael Innocenzi took advantage of a poor pass near midfield and made a run into the box. Cleveland charged out of goal and cut off Innocenzi's angle, however, forcing him to take a contested shot which Cleveland easily covered.

The Crimson avoided trouble in the 54th minute as a pair of Big Green whiffed on a throw-in into the box. 

Mendez was forced to make a diving save in the 60th off Amadu Kunateh's free kick, and stopped a point-black attempt by Noah Paravicini in the 69th minute. Paravicini collected his own rebound off the shot and appeared to have a clear look at the goal, but Alex Leondis came away with the defensive save to keep the sheet clean.

Leondis nearly played the hero at the other end minutes later with a header off a Sam Brown free kick. Cleveland was up to the task again, however, making the save at the left post.

Brown almost ended things less than one minute into the extra time as Christian Sady left a pass off for him at the top of the box as he was barrelling toward the goal. Brown's rocket of a shot was right at Cleveland though, and the goalkeeper covered it up.

Harvard returns to action next Saturday, Nov. 7 at Columbia at 7 p.m.