Men's Soccer Ties Brown, 1-1, to Remain Unbeaten in Ivy Play

Men's Soccer Ties Brown, 1-1, to Remain Unbeaten in Ivy Play

Schmoll scored for the second time in as many games as Harvard drew with Brown, 1-1 (Penny Ashford)

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Behind a goal from Tim Schmoll and four crucial saves from Evan Mendez in goal, the Harvard men's soccer team remained unbeaten in its last nine contests, coming away with a 1-1 draw with Brown on Saturday at Stevenson Field. The Crimson improves to 8-3-1 with a 2-0-1 record in Ivy League play.

Harvard reeled off 16 shots on the day, four of which came in the final overtime period, to Brown's 12. The Bears and Crimson finished with six corners apiece.

After a relatively quiet start to the game, save a Michael Klain shot on goal just three minutes in, Schmoll broke the silence at the 16-minute mark. After Kyle Henderson shot up the field along the right alley, the senior co-captain fired a cross up to Schmoll awaiting in the box. With a touch, Schmoll settled things down and beat a defender and Mitch Kupstas to put the Crimson up 1-0.

Though the first half went quietly, Brown got things rolling in the second quickly. At the 49-minute mark, Brown earned itself a corner kick after the ball trickled out off a Harvard player. From there, Jack Gorab sent a well-placed cross toward Ben Maurey who converted the set piece to even the ledger.

The two squads then traded shots back and forth during the next 20 minutes, but neither club could find the back of the net or convert its offensive opportunities. The best chances for both came as time was dwindling down. Brown had a chance with a free kick just outside of the 18, but the Harvard wall stood firm. Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu nearly converted a mid-range one-timer, but the ball floated and hit the crossbar with just 6:06 left in the half.

The evenly matched teams played to overtime, Brown for the sixth time and Harvard for the third. Into the first extra period, Mendez had what was easily the save of the season with less than two minutes left, as Brown owned a one-on-one into the box. Louis Zingas fired one in, but Mendez forcefully turned the shot aside at the last second to preserve the deadlock.

Harvard held the possession in the second OT, with its four shots – including a shot on goal from Wheeler-Omiunu, but the whistle blew with the teams still tied, 1-1.

Up next, Harvard continues on the road against Princeton, before returning home to host Stony Brook next week.