Men's Soccer Keeps Rolling with 3-0 Victory Over Manhattan

Wheeler-Omiunu registered his first career goal on Sunday. (Gil Talbot)

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's soccer team continued its winning ways on Sunday afternoon as the Crimson used three second-half goals to outmatch Manhattan, 3-0, at Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium. Harvard is now winners of its last three contests to improve to 3-3 on the year, remaining a perfect 3-0 in the comforts of home.

After being held scoreless through the first half, the Crimson collected scores from Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu, Mark Ashby and Jake Freeman to put away the Jaspers in a hard-fought affair. Freshman Sam Brown tallied a pair of assists on the day, while Hiroki Kobayashi's near score counted as a third helper for the Crimson attack.

Between the posts, Evan Mendez and Joe Festa combined for Harvard's first clean sheet of the year. Mendez registered four saves in 76:12 of action, while the back line prevented the Jaspers from even getting a ball in danger during Festa's 13:48 in the game.

The Crimson held the majority of the possession throughout the game, and sent in 14 shots in the first, six of which came on target. Though nothing found the back of the net in the first, the momentum was there, and it showed early in the second.

After Wheeler-Omiunu fed the ball to Kobayashi in the box, things developed quickly. Kobayashi got a nice look with a strike, and even though Coates-McDowall got his mitts up for the save, Wheeler-Omiunu found the rebound and put home the second chance to give the Crimson a 1-0 lead in the 49th minute.

From there, Mark Ashby extended the lead with a header in the 60th minute. After a Manhattan foul, Brown took the free kick from over 30 yards out. The well-struck ball appeared to have had the muscle to make it in on its own after clearing the entire Jasper back line, but Ashby was there to make sure it found the back of the net to put the Crimson up 2-0.

Brown started the next scoring attack with just five minutes later. After stealing a pass in the middle of the field, Brown led junior Jake Freeman soaring into the box. Freeman was able to get an initial touch on Coates-McDowall, but it took a second strike to eventually find the back of the net with only a defender in sight.

From there, the Crimson was able to coast to its 3-0 victory. Up next, the Crimson squares off with crosstown rival Northeastern at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium.