Overtime Heroics Vault Men's Soccer Over Boston College, 3-2

The Crimson fought off the Eagles in overtime to secure its first victory of 2014. (Gil Talbot)

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – With Tim Schmoll's header in the 95th minute, the Harvard men's soccer team secured its first win of 2014 and defeated Boston College for the first time in five years. Schmoll placed himself perfectly on a Christian Sady corner in overtime to vault the Crimson (1-3-0) over the Eagles (3-2-1), 2-1, Tuesday night at Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium.

In a physical rivalry game, Harvard and BC battled back and forth all evening, trading both shots and fouls. Harvard finished the game with a 21-13 shot advantage over BC, sending in nine on goal to the Eagles' five. BC held the advantage on corners, 4-3, but the Crimson made its last one count.

After Phil Sangren put Boston College ahead early with his goal in the fourth minute, the Crimson was forced to play catch-up through much of the first. After a few good chances as time wore on, Oliver White sent in a laser on goal, which bounced off Alex Kapp's mitts, right into Daniel Smith's control. Smith fired away from inside the box and tied the game up with a hard shot to the lower left side of the goal at 21:08.

With the clock ticking away in the first, Kyle Henderson put a shot on goal, which triggered a rapid fire of three shots in succession. Nate Devine put one on target with enough force to bounce off Kapp to where Henderson could easily find the back of the net. The senior's third goal in as many games gave the Crimson the lead, and precarious momentum, at the 44-minute mark into halftime.

The physicality continued on through the second half, where four of the game's five yellow cards were issued, along with a red card to BC's Derrick Boateng in the 85th minute. Just after Boateng was issued the red for kneeing, the Eagles' leading attacker, Isaac Normesinu, sent in the equalizer at 87:46 to shock the Crimson with little time to react.

Needing a second overtime game in a row against BC, Harvard pressed on with the man-advantage. After getting one shot off early, the Crimson maintained control in the Eagles' half of the field until it earned the final corner. Sady fired in a direct cross towards the center of the box, where Schmoll was waiting to send it home to finish things off in the win.

After enjoying its first win of the year, the Crimson must turn around to face Hartford on Friday and Manhattan on Sunday, both in Cambridge.