No. 18 Cornell Downs Men’s Soccer, 3-1

No. 18 Cornell Downs Men’s Soccer, 3-1

Oliver White notched his second goal of the season against Cornell Saturday (Gil Talbot).

Oliver White's Goal against Cornell

Facing its third ranked opponent of the season, the Harvard men's soccer team relinquished two second-half goals to No. 18 Cornell as the Crimson dropped a 3-1 final to the Big Red Saturday at Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium. The Crimson falls to 1-6-3 on the year and 0-1-1 in Ivy play, while Cornell remains unbeaten at 10-0-0 and 2-0-0 in league play.

The undefeated Big Red lost the offensive pressure and possession battles in the first half, but were able to capitalize on stealthy counter-attacks and grab a one goal lead before the 10 minute mark. Nine and half minutes into the contest, Nico Nissl threaded a ball in between the Harvard defense and Stephen Reisert deposited his first goal of the season to give the guests a one goal edge.

Harvard continued the pressure and fired eight shots to Cornell's two through the first half of action. The Crimson finally broke through with its first Ivy goal of the season just before halftime to knot the score at 1-1 at the break. Ross Friedman lofted a ball from his own end into the Cornell box and Jake Freeman wrestled it away from a pair of defenders and unleashed put a ball towards the Big Red net. Cornell keeper Rick Pflasterer dove to his left to collect the ball, but was unable to corral it, and Oliver White came up and pounded home the loose ball for his second tally of the season. Harvard also ended the half up 4-0 in corner kicks.

While Harvard continued to possess in the second half, Cornell saw more opportunities come its way on the counter attack. In the 63rd minute, the guests retook the lead when Conor Goepel lofted a cross over the head of Harvard goalie Joe Festa and Patrick Slogic was there to head the ball into the back of the net to give Cornell a 2-1 edge. With the wind at its back, the Big Red padded its lead 12 minutes later when Goepel got a goal of his own, one-touching a ball from Tyler Regan past Festa to secure the 3-1 final. Harvard ended with a slight 13-11 edge in shots and held the Big Red to just one corner kick on the day.

The tough tests continue for the Crimson as it travels to No. 19 Brown Saturday for its next contest. Game time is slated for 7 p.m.