Harvard Men’s Soccer Drops Home Game to Princeton, 3-2

Harvard Men’s Soccer Drops Home Game to Princeton, 3-2

Michael Innocenzi scored the first goal of his collegiate career at 31:58 (Gil Talbot).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Obiajulu Charles Agha and Michael Innocenzi each tallied goals for the Crimson, while goalkeeper Austin Harms recorded a season-high six saves, but the Harvard men's soccer team fell at home to Princeton by a score of 3-2 Saturday afternoon at Ohiri Field.

Innocenzi's goal was the first of his career, while Agha now has two tallies on the season for Harvard (2-10-1, 0-4 Ivy League).

Harvard and Princeton (4-8-1, 1-3-0) combined for four goals in the first half, beginning with a tally by Agha at 16:46. Crimson defender Eric Slingerland sent a long pass into the box from midfield, and Agha headed the ball over Princeton goalkeeper Max Gallin and into the net, giving the Crimson a 1-0 lead.

The Tigers responded just three minutes later when Chris Benedict served a pass to Julian Griggs, who dribbled into the box and blasted a shot into the left side of the goal at 20:03.

In the 32nd minute, Jamie Rees made a cross pass to the right side of the Princeton box, and Innocenzi hit a hard shot on the ground inside the left post to put Harvard back on top, 2-1, at 31:58. Nearly six minutes later, Griggs tied the game again, as he accepted a cross from Cameron Porter and put another shot into the back of the net at 37:56.

Princeton outshot Harvard, 8-6, in the first half and owned a 2-1 edge in corners. Gallin made one save in net for Princeton in the first stanza before being replaced by Seth MacMillan following the break.

In the second half, Princeton broke a 2-2 tie when Myles McGinley sent a pass to Cameron Porter who capitalized on a shot from a tough angle on the right side at 70:52. With time winding down, Harvard managed two shots on net, but Rees's chance at 81:08 and a shot by hard shot by Slingerland at 88:46 were stopped by Princeton goalie Seth MacMillan who finished the game with two saves.

The Tigers held the final count in shots, 14-13, while the Crimson had the edge in corners, 4-3.

Up next, Harvard will host Dartmouth at the Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium Saturday, Oct. 29 at 4 p.m.