Men’s Lacrosse Edged by Holy Cross in Double Overtime, 11-10

Harvard fell in double overtime to Holy Cross at Jordan Field (Photo Courtesy: Rob Butler).
Harvard fell in double overtime to Holy Cross at Jordan Field (Photo Courtesy: Rob Butler).
Play Video

Final Box

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's lacrosse team was edged by Holy Cross in double overtime on Tuesday afternoon, 11-10, at Jordan Field. The game, which was played in cold conditions under clear skies, was originally set for Worcester, but was moved to Cambridge due to weather concerns around the Crusaders' campus.

The contest could not have started better for the Crimson as it scored three of the game's first four goals. Ryan Graff opened the scoring with his seventh of the year with the game less than four minutes old. Holy Cross answered 46 seconds later, but Harvard received an unassisted goal from Nigel Andrews and another from Graff off a Zach Hobbes feed to take a 3-1 lead. The Crusaders, however, scored twice in the final 32 seconds to level the score at 3-3 entering the second quarter.

Harvard dominated the second period, outscoring Holy Cross, 5-0, in the frame. Watson Cheek scored his first of the season and Kyle Anderson followed suit, giving the home side two goals within the first 3:51. The offense slowed from there, but the Crimson was still able to find the back of the net with Graff striking again and Myles Hamm contributing the cause. Austin Madronic put the finishing touches on the first-half scoring when he tickled the twine just ahead of the halftime buzzer.

The Crimson (0-3) carried the momentum in the third quarter as Anderson scored before the half was 90 seconds old. Then with just over nine minutes left in the period, Graff supplied his game-high fourth goal, propelling Harvard to a 10-3 lead. The Crimson maintained its cushion deep into the quarter and appeared to be headed to the final frame with a seven-goal lead. The Crusaders, however, had other plans, recording three goals in the last 27 seconds to make it a 10-6 Harvard lead.

Despite the Holy Cross onslaught, one in which saw the Crusaders post three goals in the first 9-plus minutes of the fourth, Harvard still led by one at 10-9, as the clock approached 5:00. The Crimson made the lead stand up until Kevin Kodzis slotted his shot by Kyle Mullin with 42 seconds left in regulation. The score stayed tied at 10-10 for the balance of the period, moving the game to overtime.

In the extra session, neither team found the back of the net in four minutes of action, forcing a second sudden-victory period. Unfortunately for Harvard, Holy Cross' Will Spangenberg earned the game-winning goal 30 seconds in, to give the Crusaders the decision, which moved them to 2-2 on the year.

Harvard Highlights

  • Graff led the team in goals for the second time in three games and set a career high with six points. His two assists matched a season best.
  • Anderson tied his season high with two goals and two assists. The junior's four points set a new season high, erasing his 3-point effort at North Carolina.
  • Kyle Salvatore matched his career high with two assists, which was originally established at UNC.
  • Mullin made a career- and game-high 19 saves, marking his third straight double-figure save effort.
  • Frankie Tangredi and Jonathan Butler both had a team-high four ground balls. The number tied a career high for both players. Tandgredi also set a personal best with three caused turnovers.

Next Up

Harvard will return to action on Saturday when it plays at Hartford. Game time is set for 11 a.m.