Dartmouth's Goal in Final Seconds Downs No. 17 Men’s Lacrosse, 9-8

Dartmouth's Goal in Final Seconds Downs No. 17 Men’s Lacrosse, 9-8

Jeff Cohen led Harvard with four goals against Dartmouth (Gil Talbot).

HANOVER, N.H. – The No. 17 Harvard men's lacrosse team saw its four-game win streak snapped, as the Crimson fell on the road at Dartmouth, 9-8, Saturday afternoon. The Big Green's Nikki Dysenchuk scored the game-winner with just one second remaining, as the Crimson drops to 5-2 overall and 1-1 in the Ancient Eight.

Jeff Cohen tallied four goals, and Ryan Stevens added a hat trick, while Dean Gibbons dished out four assists to lead the Crimson offense. Daniel DiMaria led Harvard with six ground balls, while Andrew Parchman collected four ground balls and won 12-of-18 faceoffs.  

Chris Costabile scored three goals for the Big Green, which sees its record improve to 4-3 overall and 1-0 in the Ivy League.

After the Big Green opened the scoring with a goal just seven seconds into the game, Harvard responded with a goal by Terry White just 40 seconds later to tie the game, 1-1. Neither team found the back of the net again until Jeff Cohen took a pass from Dean Gibbons and tallied Harvard's second goal, making it 2-1 with 44 ticks left on the clock in the opening stanza.

Dartmouth knotted the game midway through the second quarter, but Cohen and Gibbons connected on another goal to put the Crimson back up by one, 3-2, at 3:04. With a minute to play in the half, Dartmouth's Costabile tied it again, 3-3.

At the 12:56 mark of the third quarter, Ryan Stevens made it a 4-4 game with his first goal of the day. With 10:07 remaining in the third, Gibbons assisted on a goal by Cohen for the third time on the afternoon, putting Harvard up by one, 5-4. The Big Green responded with the game's next two goals to carry a 6-5 advantage heading into the final period of regulation.

In the fourth, Terry White found Stevens, tying the game once again, 6-6, with 14:03 to go. After the Big Green reclaimed a lead, 7-6, at the 10:12 mark, neither team could not regain the offensive touch until Dartmouth took a two-goal edge when Drew Tunney made it 8-6 with 3:47 left.

With time winding down, Gibbons earned his fourth assist of the day as he found Stevens for his sixth goal in two games at the 2:25 mark, getting Harvard within one, 8-7. With 1:39 to play, Dartmouth was called for a one-minute tripping penalty, giving the Crimson a man-up opportunity. Cohen took a quick shot at Dartmouth goalkeeper Fergus Campbell, but the goalie made the save. Matt Hull picked up the rebound for the Crimson and found Cohen for a second chance. Cohen capitalized on his second shot, tying the game with just 76 seconds remaining.

Dartmouth won the ensuing faceoff and held control of the play for the remainder of play in the game. After a shot by Jeff Perkind sailed high of the net with six seconds left, Dysenchuk fired a shot past Harry Krieger with one second left, lifting Dartmouth to the victory.

Krieger finished with six saves, while Campbell stopped 17 Harvard shots.  The Crimson outshot the Big Green, 41-26, and owned an edge in ground balls, 37-31. Harvard also won 13-of-20 faceoffs and was 12-of-16 on clear attempts.

Up next, the Crimson will play its first game of the year at Harvard Stadium Tuesday evening, as Harvard will host No. 14 Massachusetts at 7 p.m.