Junior defenseman Adam Fox scored his seventh goal of the year against Princeton on Friday night.
PRINCETON, N.J. – Junior forward Frederic Gregoire and junior defenseman Adam Fox scored, but Harvard men's ice hockey (6-5-3, 3-4-2 ECAC Hockey) fell, 4-2, at Princeton (6-10-2, 4-6-1 ECAC Hockey) on Friday night (Jan. 11).
Senior goaltender Michael Lackey made 22 saves, as Harvard outshot Princeton 31-26 on the night. Harvard finished 1-for-4 on the man advantage, while the Tigers scored twice on the power play.
Gregoire gave the Crimson an early lead, taking a quick shot off a clean faceoff win by first-year Jack Drury and hitting the top corner on the short side at 4:45.
Princeton evened the score on its first power play chance of the night with Derek Topatigh scoring for the Tigers at 7:17.
The Tigers took their first lead of the night early in the second period (1:04), but Harvard answered right back with Fox's power play goal. Dornbach slipped a quick pass to Fox, who fired a one-timer from straightaway past Princeton's Ryan Ferland (29 saves) at 6:04 to tie the game at 2-2.
That was the score in the opening minutes of the third period when Princeton's Alex Riche scored on the power play to put the Tigers ahead for good.
Harvard had a late power play opportunity in the final minutes of the third period but could not convert, and Princeton scored an empty net goal to seal the victory.
- Junior forward Frederic Gregoire scored his second goal of the season – first-year forward Jack Drury picked up his 10th assist of the year and has points in three straight games.
- Sophomore defenseman Adam Fox (goal) surpassed his career high for goals in a season (7) and is second in the nation with 1.57 points per game.
- First-year forward Casey Dornbach (assist) has points in five straight games.
- Harvard finished the night 1-for-4 on the power play, and leads the nation in power play percentage (19-for-54, 35.2%).
- Princeton's win snapped an 11-game unbeaten run (10-0-1) for Harvard in the series dating back to the 2012-13 season.