No. 11/11 Boston University Rallies Late to Top No. 5/4 Men’s Hockey, 6-5

Sean Malone scored twice for the Crimson in the second period (Gil Talbot).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – In a game No. 5/4 Harvard men's hockey controlled for much of the night, three goals in the final four minutes by No. 11/11 Boston University gave the Terriers a 6-5 road victory Thursday night in front of a capacity crowd of 3,095 at the Bright-Landry Hockey Center.

BU, after being outshot 29-10 through the first two periods and trailing 5-3 entering the final five minutes, found the back of the net three times in the waning minutes to clinch the come-from-behind victory. The win improves the Terriers to 10-6-3, while the loss is only the second of the year for the Crimson, dropping them to 8-2-3 and snapping its seven-game unbeaten streak that had been tied for fourth-longest in the country.

After Kyle Criscuolo scored to give Harvard a 5-3 lead with 10 minutes to go, the momentum, which BU had not had all night, swiftly shifted in its favor. Matt Grzelcyk started the comeback with his third of the season at 16:02. Danny O'Regan made it an even 5-5 game 1:04 later when he scored his second of the night and Ahti Oksanen gave the Terriers their first lead with 1:49 remaining.

It was an all Harvard opening period with the home team dominating the puck and the shots on goal, leading 18-2 at the intermission horn. Brien Diffley was whistled for the game's first penalty, an interference call, at 7:29, giving the potent Harvard power play an even greater edge than it had even strength. That edge culminated 54 seconds into the man-advantage when Jimmy Vesey banged home a bouncing puck to the left of BU netminder Sean Maguire for his 10th of the season. The goal was set up with Alexander Kerfoot feeding Clay Anderson in the center of the zone for a shot that was deflected right to Vesey.

The Terriers were able to breathe some life into the offense in the second period, scoring twice on seven shots on goal, but the Crimson had the answer each time, and took a 3-2 lead into the second break. Senior Matt Lane registered both goals for BU with the first coming at 1:48 of the period. The 1-1 tie was short-lived, as Sean Malone crashed the net and scored his first of two in the period 24 seconds later to regain a 2-1 advantage for the Crimson. Tyler Moy laid a puck towards the net that Seb Lloyd first had an attempt on, but it was the trailing Malone that finished off the scoring play.

Lane provided another equalizer for the Terriers at 12:33 when he scored on a wrister off a play that started with Mike Moran forcing a turnover in the neutral zone. Once again though, Malone had the answer, this time 1:22 later. His linemates this time put together a great set of passes driving deep into the attacking zone before hitting Malone barreling towards the goal for a rip that counted as his third of the season.

Harvard added to the lead early in the third period with Jake Horton netting his third of the season at 3:33. Anderson and Devin Tringale worked the puck behind the BU net, finding Horton on the other side just above the extended goal line where he flicked a wrister on net that slipped through the pads of Maguire. The Terriers brought the deficit back within one at 6:51 when Danny O'Regan scored his sixth of the year, but Harvard had the answer again three minutes later.

The top line connected for the fifth Harvard goal of the evening when Kerfoot played a puck behind the net where Vesey retrieved it and put a nice touch on a pass out front to Criscuolo for the goal.

Next up for the Crimson is a trip to Madison Square Garden for a face-off against No. 2/1 Quinnipiac in the Rivalry on Ice Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

Beanpot Tickets
Harvard fans, first and second round Beanpot tickets are available now! Please call the Harvard Athletics Ticket Office at 617-495-2211 to order.