Physical Battle Against Cornell Ends in 3-3 Tie for No. 14/13 Men’s Hockey

Victor Newell had two assists vs. Cornell (Gil Talbot).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.  – The No. 14/13 Harvard men's hockey team (13-8-3, 9-6-3 ECAC) did battle with rival Cornell (10-11-4, 8-8-2 ECAC) Saturday afternoon in front of a sold out crowd at Bright-Landry Hockey Center. In one of the most physical games of the season, the Crimson skated to a 3-3 tie against the Big Red.

For the fourth time this year, top-line winger Jimmy Vesey notched three points to bring his season-total to 39. The North Reading, Massachusetts, native scored the Crimson's third goal late in the third period and had helpers on the first two. Sophomore Victor Newell also had an assist on each of the Crimson's first two tallies, the fourth time in his career he's had multiple assists in a game.

The physical nature of the game did not translate into a high number of whistles. For the first time since Nov. 20, 2010 at Quinnipiac, the Crimson did not go on the power play. Cornell finished 1-for-2 on its opportunities.

The first 20 minutes of action passed without either team pocketing a goal, but not without incident. Vesey was whistled at 17:31 for boarding, which instigated a retaliatory cross-check from Teemu Tiitinen. The second period started with Cornell holding 2:31 of power play time as Vesey's penalty went down as a major. With the man-advantage, Cole Bardreau scored his fifth of the season to put Cornell up 1-0.

Harvard's top line bounced back with the game's next two scores, with Alexander Kerfoot wristing a shot top shelf at 8:17 to knot the contest at 1-1.  Moments later, Kyle Criscuolo gave Harvard its first lead of the game, coming from behind the Cornell goal to stuff home his 13th goal of the year at 11:01.

In the third, Cornell tied the game at 2-2 when Jeff Kubiak netted his first of the season at 7:31. Nearing the final five minutes of regulation, the urgency struck Harvard and culminated with Vesey firing a shot that hit Big Red goaltender Mitch Gillam in the right shoulder and rolled into the net.

The Big Red responded again with another first-time goal scorer this season. Jeff Fiegl scored with just under four minutes left to play, setting up overtime tied at 3-3. In the extra period, Harvard outshot Cornell, 3-2, but neither team was able to score the game-winner.

Harvard heads to St. Lawrence and Clarkson next weekend for its final regular season road trip of the year.