Trio of Third Period St. Lawrence Scores Sinks Men’s Hockey, 4-2

Trio of Third Period St. Lawrence Scores Sinks Men’s Hockey, 4-2

Jimmy Vesey put Harvard up, 2-1, in the third period against the Saints (Kevin Burns).

Marshall Everson's Goal vs. St. Lawrence

Jimmy Vesey's Goal vs St. Lawrence

The Harvard men's hockey team held a 26-25 shots advantage, but was victimized by three third-period goals as the Crimson dropped a 4-2 final to St. Lawrence Friday night at Appleton Arena. Harvard falls to 7-16-3 and 4-13-2 in ECAC play while the Saints move to 16-11-4 and 9-6-4 in league action.

For the fifth consecutive game, senior Marshall Everson recorded a goal. The five-game point streak ties a career-high for Everson and marks the longest goal streak of his career. The senior now has seven goals in his last five games. Alex Fallstrom also tied a career-high point streak with an assist on the night, giving him five straight games with a point.

An unfortunate boarding call on the Crimson just 59 seconds into the game saw the Harvard penalty kill tested early, but the unit was up to the task, aided by a key save from Raphael Girard. When the Harvard power play got its chance four minutes later, the Crimson was sure not to waste the chance. Luke Greiner dug the puck out from the right corner and dished it back to Danny Biega at the blue line. The senior wristed a shot on goal that was stopped by the Saints' Matt Weninger, but Everson, who was well positioned in front, turned and fired true for his team-leading 11th goal of the season at 5:39.

St. Lawrence nearly level the score on the ensuing rush, but a probing shot clanged off Girarad's left pipe and sailed wide. The Saints took advantage of a man advantage on a delayed penalty just past the midway point of the first to level the score. The hosts were able to get their goalie off the ice for an extra skater, and Kyle Flanagan's shot got past Girard at 11:20 to knot the score. Girard made six more saves through the end of the period to keep the score tied at 1-1 heading into the break.

Back-and-forth play was rampant throughout the second period, but the teams combined for just 12 shots on goal in the frame. The Crimson's best chance came on a broken play during a penalty kill when Greiner won a footrace with a retreating Saints defender, only to have the puck poked away by Weninger who had floated well out of his crease. The puck came to Dan Ford near the blue line and Ford blasted a low line drive that Weninger turned away standing in between the faceoff circles.

The third period started favorably for the Crimson as Jimmy Vesey gave Harvard a 2-1 lead just 1:15 into the frame. Vesey tipped a faceoff back to Alex Fallstrom who took a few swipes at the puck, trying to fire a shot on goal. Fallstrom dove forward and clipped a puck off Colin Blackwell, and the puck found Vesey on the back door with Vesey shoveling it home.

The home crowd made itself a factor following the Vesey goal and the Saints responded with a pair of goals just 12 seconds apart to take a 3-2 lead. A power-play marker by George Hughes at 8:14 knotted the score at 2-2 and Greg Carey's effort 12 seconds later would stand as the game-winner. Patrick Doherty converted a 2-on-1with 5:05 to play to ice the game for the Saints.   

The Crimson plays its last regular-season road game of the season tomorrow night when it makes the short trip to Potsdam, N.Y., to take on Clarkson.