Men’s Hockey Overcomes Barrage to Tie Cornell, 2-2

Men’s Hockey Overcomes Barrage to Tie Cornell, 2-2

Alex Fallstrom notched Harvard's first goal of the game and extended his points streak to four games Saturday (Gil Talbot).

The Harvard men's hockey team finished with 23 shots compared to Cornell's 40, but the Crimson made its shots count in a 2-2 final against the Big Red Saturday at Bright Hockey Center. Harvard (7-15-3, 4-12-2 ECAC) is now undefeated in its last four games while the tie moves Cornell to 9-13-3 and 5-10-3 in ECAC action.

Marshall Everson scored for the fifth time in the last three games, putting the Crimson ahead for an eight-minute stretch in the second period. Kyle Criscuolo logged his third straight game with an assist, and now has five in the last three contests. Criscuolo and Everson have now combined for three of the last four Crimson tallies.

Entering the third period with a 19-13 shots deficit, the Crimson survived a barrage from the Big Red, as Raphael Girard turned away all 19 shots he faced in the final period and two more in the overtime stanza. Harvard's best chance at the game-winner came late in the third period when Tommy O'Regan slid a pass across the ice to a streaking Luke Greiner on a three-on-two, but Cornell goalie Andy Iles denied Greiner's attempt. Cornell held the momentum throughout the overtime period, and the Crimson did well to keep the Big Red off the board and preserve the 2-2 final.

The crowd was electric to start the game and the pace of the game matched the patrons' energy. Cornell came out with a bit more fire than the hosts, sending three shots on net before the Crimson could manage one of its own. The early pressure from the Big Red paid off, as the guests jumped on the board just 2:03 into the game. Jacob MacDonald controlled an attempted Crimson clear and ripped a shot from the left point that Greg Miller tipped past Girard.

The teams traded power plays through the middle of the period, but both squads passed the penalty kill test, leaving the score 1-0 in Cornell's favor. The Big Red's second penalty would prove costly, however, as the Crimson evened the score just 26 seconds before the first buzzer. Luke Greiner gained control of the puck near the left corner in the Cornell zone, brought it out a bit and put a back-handed attempt on net. Andy Iles made the save, but Alex Fallstrom worked hard for the rebound and steered it home for his sixth score of the season.

Fallstrom's goal was his second is as many games, and extended his points streak to four games, his longest of the season and second-longest on the team this year.

Harvard's penalty kill was put to the test early in the second when Brendan Rempel was sent to the box for a slashing call 1:56 into the frame. The Crimson defenses buckled down once again, allowing just one shot to reach Girard, keeping the score knotted at 1-1. A big mistake by the Big Red just past the eight minute mark led to Harvard's second goal. A Cornell defenseman carrying the puck out of his own zone, slipped before he could reach the blueline. Criscuolo was there to strip him of the puck and dish to Everson, who guided the puck past Iles for his fifth tally in the last three games.

Just over eight minutes later, Cornell leveled the score thanks to a solid string of passing that ended with Nick D'Agostino blasting a shot past Girard from the top of the right faceoff circle. Cornell held a significant edge in shots (19-13) and faceoffs (31-19) after two, but the score stood tied at 2-2.

Harvard will make its final regular-season road trip next weekend when it travels north to take on St. Lawrence Friday and Clarkson Saturday.