Brown’s Second Period Flurry Sinks Men’s Hockey, 5-2

Brown’s Second Period Flurry Sinks Men’s Hockey, 5-2

Brian Hart had a goal and an assist Saturday against Brown (Gil Talbot).

Brian Hart's Goal Against Brown

Tommy O'Regan's Goal Against Brown

A flurry of goals in the second period set the tone for the whole game as the Harvard men's hockey team dropped a 5-2 decision to Ivy League rival Brown Saturday afternoon at Meehan Auditorium. The loss is Harvard's (5-10-1, 3-8-0 ECAC) 10th of the season while Brown (6-8-4, 2-5-4 ECAC) picks up its second league win of the season.

Freshman Peter Traber looked sharp early in his first collegiate start, turning aside all six shots that reached the cage in the first period. Harvard managed to produce a couple of good looks in the early going, aided by a Brown interference penalty just 3:19 into the game. Though it wasn't able to score on the power play, Harvard showed its penalty kill was on point, holding Brown to just one shot when Petr Placek was booked for tripping 5:39 into the frame. With 41 seconds to play, Harvard gained its second power play of the game, but a probing pass towards the front of the cage couldn't reach a wide-open Marshall Everson in time, and the horn sounded with the game still scoreless.

As quiet as the first period was, the second was anything but as six goals were scored in the 20-minute span. Even though the Bears killed off the remaining penalty to start the period, it was Harvard that struck first just 2:04 in. Brian Hart collected a loose puck in his own zone, zoomed up ice and led Tommy O'Regan perfectly, allowing the sophomore to shove the puck home for a 1-0 lead.

However, the Harvard tally served to awaken the Bears and the hosts quickly took control of the game. Garnet Hathaway leveled the game just 47 seconds after O'Regan's goal and a Chris Zaires strike at the 6:50 mark gave the Bears their first lead of the game. Brown wasn't done scoring as 66 seconds later, Ryan Jacobson was left alone on the back door and his finish stretched the Brown lead to 3-1. A cross checking-penalty on Harvard put Brown on the power play at the midway point of the period and the special teams unit made it 4-1 when Nick Lappin cleaned up a Matt Lorito shot for the man-up score.

Harvard didn't go quietly into the locker room as Hart once again made an impact play to cut the Crimson deficit to two. A pair of penalties resulted in a 4-on-4 situation and the Crimson used the extra space to turn up the heat on Brown goalie Anthony Borelli. Dan Ford fired a shot from the blue line and the rebound went to Jimmy Vesey. Vesey collected and worked his way through the Brown zone, eventually turning and wristing a pass to Hart who blasted home the feed with just over two minutes to play in the frame. The Crimson closed with the momentum after cutting the deficit to two.

The Bears were able to put the game away 7:25 into the final frame, when Jeff Ryan lifted a shot top shelf off a 3-on-2 rush, giving Brown a 5-2 lead. A late Brown penalty saw Harvard pull its goalie for a 6-on-4 advantage, but the guests couldn't find the final pass and the game ended in the 5-2 final.

The Crimson has a quick return to action as it wraps up its lengthy road swing Tuesday with a league matchup at No. 17 Union. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m.