Comeback Complete! Four Unanswered Goals Propel Men’s Hockey to 6-5 Overtime Win Over No. 8 Boston University

Comeback Complete! Four Unanswered Goals Propel Men’s Hockey to 6-5 Overtime Win Over No. 8 Boston University

Tommy O'Regan collected a goal and two assists in the comeback win over No. 8 Boston University Wednesday (Gil Talbot).

Brian Hart Scores Harvard's Second Goal

Tommy O'Regan Scores Harvard's First Goal

O'Regan's Postgame Press Conference

Ted Donato's Postgame Press Conference

Staring at a 5-2 deficit early in the third period, the Harvard men's hockey team rallied with three third-period goals to force the game to overtime, before Conor Morrison netted his first goal of the season, giving the Crimson a 6-5 comeback upset over No. 8 Boston University. It is Harvard's biggest comeback since erasing a four-goal deficit at home against New Hampshire Nov. 22, 2011 in a 7-6 win.

The six goals marks a season-high for the Crimson (5-7-1), as it last netted that many in a 6-1 win over Cornell in the 2012 ECAC semifinals. It is Harvard's first win over a Hockey East school this season and second victory over a top-10 team. The Crimson is also 2-0-0 this year when the game is broadcast live on NBC Sports.

Tommy O'Regan ended the game with a goal and two assists, including a helper on the game-winner, while Luke Greiner also collected a goal and two helpers on the night. Ryan McGregor earned two assists in the win, providing helpers on Harvard's first and final goals.

While the Terriers had more overall shots in the extra frame, Harvard made its count more, as the Crimson put four shots on net to the Terriers' one. With less than a minute to play in the game, BU wristed a shot on net that got caught up in traffic and flung away by Ryan McGregor. The sophomore's clear found the stick of Tommy O'Regan who looked up and led a streaking Morrison with a probing pass up the left side of the ice. Morrison collected in stride, bolted to the left faceoff circle and blasted a slapshot past Matt O'Connor, giving Harvard the victory with 48 seconds showing on the clock.

It marks Harvard's first overtime victory since a 4-3 win over Yale last season in the first game of the ECAC quarterfinals.

The hosts padded their lead early in the third when Danny O'Regan stuffed home his second of the game and the play held up after a brief review, pushing the score to 5-2. From there, the Crimson dug in and rediscovered its offensive touch, posting three goals in the final 14 minutes of regulation. Luke Greiner won a faceoff forward to Alex Fallstrom in the BU zone and Fallstrom, despite being knocked off the puck, slid a pass to Marshall Everson alone on the backdoor, and the senior dumped the puck in to cut the home lead to 5-3.

Greiner got in the goal column himself less than two minutes later when the Crimson took advantage of just its third power play of the game. Dan Ford steadied the puck in the Crimson end and released it Brendan Rempel to begin the charge. Rempel chipped a pass to Luke Greiner in stride and the senior forward did the rest, weaving through the BU defense and netting his third tally of the season to cut the BU lead to one

The Terrier defenses stiffened through the middle part of the period, but a brief defensive letdown saw the Crimson complete the comeback with 16:14 gone in the period. Danny Biega laid off a puck to Colin Blackwell in the Harvard zone and Blackwell chipped a lofted dump pass towards the BU net. O'Connor couldn't handle the awkward bouncing puck and Blackwell zoomed in to stuff home his own rebound to knot the game at 5-5.

A third BU goal came early in the middle stanza, when Wade Megan controlled a puck off the stick of Sahir Gill and fired past Raphael Girard to give the Terriers a 3-0 lead just 56 seconds into the period. The guests came alive in the remaining minutes of the second period, netting a pair of goals and grabbing the momentum for a good part of the stanza. Harvard's first strike came 2:29 into the second when John Caldwell tipped a puck to Tommy O'Regan and the sophomore carried it into the BU zone. O'Regan lost the handle at first, but regained control and wristed a shot from in front of the net even with the faceoff circle that bested O'Connor for the score.

Brian Hart brought the Crimson to within one just over six minutes later with the first road point of his young career. Luke Greiner worked the puck out of the Harvard zone up the boards and flung a pass to O'Regan who was stationed along the left boards midway through the BU zone. O'Regan whipped a pass to Hart at the top of the opposite faceoff circle and the rookie wound up and blasted a slapshot past O'Connor to make it 3-2 at 8:45 in the second. The one-goal deficit didn't last for long as Matt Nieto put home a mid-range wrist shot just over a minute later to push the lead back to two goals at 4-2. BU closed the second with a 28-20 edge in shots and a 4-2 lead.

The Crimson defense was tested early when a charging call put the Terriers on a power play just three minutes into the game, but Harvard killed off the penalty with ease, holding the hosts without a shot on net. Harvard turned up the pressure coming off the kill, but a counter-attack from the Terriers resulted in the game's first goal. Ryan Ruikka shot the puck on net and after Raphael Girard made a handful of short-range stops, Wesley Myron finally stuffed it home at 14:23 for a 1-0 lead.

With just over 13 minutes gone in the first, Harvard gained its first power play of the game. The unit looked poised, testing BU goalie Matt O'Connor with three shots on goal during the two-minute stretch, but could not find the equalizer. A second Harvard penalty late in the first proved costly, when Danny O'Regan found space alone at the backdoor, one-timing home a Matt Nieto pass with just 34 seconds left in the stanza. The period ended with the Crimson in a 2-0 hole.

The Crimson returns to conference action Saturday when it takes on travel partner No. 12 Dartmouth in Hanover, N.H. Game time is slated for 7:30 p.m.