Killorn Scores Twice, Men’s Hockey Sets NCAA Ties Record, 3-3 at Brown

Killorn registered the sixth three-point game of his career (photo courtesy Gil Talbot).
Killorn registered the sixth three-point game of his career (photo courtesy Gil Talbot).

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—Alex Killorn scored twice and assisted on an Alex Fallstrom goal, leading the Harvard men's hockey team in a 3-3 tie at Brown Friday night at Meehan Auditorium. The draw, the Crimson's 11th of the season, set a new NCAA Division I record.

Brown's Massimo Lamacchia scored with one minute, 46 seconds remaining in regulation to complete a comeback from two goals down. Harvard (8-7-11, 6-4-9 ECAC Hockey, 3-2-4 Ivy League) dominated the overtime, outshooting the Bears (8-24-4, 5-12-3, 2-5-1) by a 4-1 margin despite spending two of the five minutes on the penalty kill, but could not get a shot past Mike Clemente. The Brown senior finished with 26 saves, while Harvard's Raphael Girard made 32.

The tying goal came when the Bears threw the puck into a crowd in front of the net late in the third period. The red light went on, but the referees did not signal a goal until after consulting video review.

Harvard was whistled for a penalty in overtime—handing the Bears their seventh power play— but killed it and kept the puck deep in the Brown zone for nearly all of the second half of overtime. Clemente survived several flurries of Harvard scoring chances. The Crimson killed six Brown power plays in the game and scored once on its three man advantages.

Fallstrom added an assist and was 13-7 at the faceoff dot. Killorn put a game-high eight shots on goal, while Dan Ford blocked four Brown attempts on the other end.

Danny Fick was hauled down for a tripping call for the game's first penalty, and Killorn made the Bears pay just eight seconds later, at the 8:46 mark. Danny Biega took a shot from along the right half wall that was knocked down, but Killorn pounced on the puck and fired it past Clemente from above the right faceoff dot with a wrist shot.

The Crimson killed Brown's only man advantage of the period, and Killorn later doubled his and the Crimson's goal total. Fallstrom crossed the offensive blue line and made a right-to-left pass to Tommy O'Regan, who dropped the puck back to Killorn. The senior scored from the slot for his 18th goal of the season and eighth career two-goal game.

John Caldwell laid a fierce body check on Bobby Farnham early on, and Colin Blackwell and Max Everson also contributed big hits in the period. Girard stopped all 12 Brown shots, with the toughest save coming on Matt Lorito rushing the puck up the left side.

The Bears cut into the Crimson lead before the second period was two minutes old, as Jarred Smith banged in a bouncing puck from in front of the right post.

Fallstrom pushed the advantage back to two goals at the 13:30 mark. Fick took a hard hit by two Bears at center ice in order to push the puck ahead to Killorn, who got it to Fallstrom in the slot. While being knocked to the ice, the junior flung in his 11th goal.

Jack Maclellan scored a power-play goal on a shot from the right side to cut Harvard's lead to 3-2 by period's end. Neither team scored in the first 18 minutes of the third period, with David Valek backchecking to break up a good chance for the Bears.