Harvard Men’s Hockey Closes Beanpot with 3-2 Defeat of Northeastern

O'Regan was one of five Harvard players with a +2 rating for the game (photo courtesy Thom Kendall). Buy Now
O'Regan was one of five Harvard players with a +2 rating for the game (photo courtesy Thom Kendall).

BOSTON—The Harvard men's hockey team scored once in each period, with Tommy O'Regan assisting on two goals, to defeat Northeastern, 3-2, in the consolation game of the 60th Beanpot tournament Monday evening at TD Garden.

Alex Killorn, Alex Fallstrom and Luke Greiner scored for the Crimson (8-7-10), and Steve Michalek made 24 saves. Northeastern's Clay Witt stopped 36 shots to keep the Huskies (11-14-3) within a goal despite Harvard's 39-26 shots advantage.

Fallstrom's second-period tally gave Harvard a 2-1 edge, and Greiner scored Harvard's first shorthanded tally of the year in the third period. The Huskies quickly cut the margin back to one goal but could not equalize in the final minutes. Killorn's goal was his team-leading 16th of the season, the greatest total by a Crimson player since Dan Murphy '06 netted 18 in 2005-06. The senior led all skaters with six shots on goal and finished his Beanpot career with five goals in seven games.

The Crimson came out firing early and put two shots past Witt only to be denied by a goalpost. The first was a Dan Ford one-timer off an Eric Kroshus pass; the second was a David Valek redirection of Patrick McNally's point shot.

Harvard earned the first power play of the game but had the advantage cut short by a penalty of its own. The Crimson killed the ensuing NU power play and went on to score at the 11:44 mark. O'Regan got the puck from Ryan Grimshaw and passed down low to Killorn, who deked around Witt to the goal line and tucked the puck inside the right post. Harvard doubled Northeastern in shots in the opening period, 12-6.

The Crimson started the second period as well as it did the first, creating two flurries of chances in the opening minutes. The Huskies weathered the storm, however, and tied the score, 1-1, at 4:07. Michalek stopped most of Robbie Vrolyk's shot from the right side, but the puck trickled over the line.

Two of Harvard's best scoring chances in the period came from Fallstrom and Killorn while shorthanded. Fallstrom eventually broke through at even strength. Ford moved the puck around the boards in the defensive zone to O'Regan, who zipped a pass nearly half the length of the ice to Fallstrom's tape at the red line. Fallstrom pulled the puck wide to the right side of the zone and beat Witt with a wrist shot. Harvard owned a 15-11 shots edge in the period.

Greiner beat Witt with a low shot on a shorthanded rush at 13:44 after breakout passes from Max Everson and Colin Moore gave him some space heading toward the NU goal. It was the junior's fourth goal in the last five games. Harvard's breathing room was short-lived, as Luke Eibler put in the second NU goal just 23 seconds later, before the power play expired.

With Witt pulled for an extra attacker, Danny Biega ripped a shot at the open net from the faceoff circle of his own defensive zone and hit the crossbar on the other end. The Huskies got the puck back in the offensive zone in the final seconds, but Michalek stopped their only shot on net, from Vrolyk.