No. 1 BU Knocks Off Harvard in Beanpot Semifinal, 3-1

Killorn scored his fourth career Beanpot goal (photo courtesy Thom Kendall).
Killorn scored his fourth career Beanpot goal (photo courtesy Thom Kendall).

BOSTON—Kieran Millan stopped 29 shots and Wade Megan scored two goals to lead No. 1 Boston University past the Harvard men's hockey team, 3-1, in the first semifinal of the 60th annual Beanpot tournament Monday night at TD Garden.

The Crimson (7-7-9), which snapped a six-game unbeaten streak, attempted six shots in the final two minutes but could not solve Millan, who registered three saves to preserve the two-goal lead. Harvard held a 10-6 edge in shots in the third period and a 30-25 advantage for the game as it sought its sixth come-from-behind win of the year.

Alex Killorn registered Harvard's lone goal in the second period, his team-leading 15th of the year, and was assisted on the play by Marshall Everson to pull the Crimson within 3-1. Matt Nieto gave BU (17-8-1) the lead just over eight minutes into the first period, and Megan followed with a pair of goals in the second for a 3-0 advantage.

The Crimson was 1 for 4 on power plays, while BU finished 1 for 5. Steve Michalek registered 14 saves, and Raphael Girard stopped the Terriers' final eight shots after entering late in the second period.

Colin Blackwell earned the first good chance of the game, but Millan stopped his shot on the rush and covered before the freshman could get to the rebound. Millan also stopped David Valek from in front of the right post, as the Crimson had four of the game's first six shots.

The Terriers' third shot was the game's first goal, as Nieto came down the right side and wrapped the puck around the left post. Harvard got a chance to tie with a power play, but BU survived and Millan stopped a close-in chance for Blackwell. The Crimson, in turn, killed a BU power play, with Dan Ford making a key recovery to deny a backdoor shot.

Harvard was forced to kill two more penalties during the period, but the best chances on those BU power plays came shorthanded from Killorn and Blackwell. Each team was credited with nine first-period shots.

The Crimson again started strong in the second period, registering three of the first four shots in the frame. A left-pad save by Millan on Killorn kept the score in the Terriers' favor, and they doubled the lead on their fourth power-play of the night, off the stick of Megan. The third goal came with six minutes left in the period, when Megan walked in from the left and scored with a backhand shot.

Harvard got one back by period's end, from Killorn on the power play at the 15:27 mark. Everson broke up a BU clearing attempt and centered to Killorn, who beat Millan with a shot to the blocker side. The Crimson could not convert a late four-on-three power play but outshot the Terriers, 11-10, in the period.

The Crimson controlled the play throughout the period, holding the Terriers to six shots. Harvard applied heavy pressure in the game's final five minutes of the third period, but Millan held strong to send his team to next week's championship game. Harvard will play in the consolation game, seeking its second straight third-place finish in Boston's tournament.