Five Straight for Six Straight: Men’s Hockey Tops Quinnipiac, 6-3

Girard is 1-0-1 against Quinnipiac this season (photo courtesy Thom Kendall).

HAMDEN, Conn.—The Harvard men's hockey team scored five unanswered goals and Raphael Girard stopped all 26 shots he faced for his first collegiate win as the Crimson extended its unbeaten streak to six games with a 6-3 defeat of Quinnipiac Friday night at TD Bank Sports Center.

Marshall Everson led the comeback with a goal and two assists, while Danny Biega scored twice and Alex Killorn had three assists. Eric Kroshus, Luke Greiner and Alex Fallstrom also scored. Patrick McNally and Colin Blackwell logged two helpers each as Harvard (7-6-9, 6-4-74 ECAC Hockey) captured the regular-season series against the Bobcats (13-9-5, 5-6-4).

Quinnipiac held leads of 2-0 and 3-1 in the first period, but the Crimson tied the score before the end of the second and netted three goals in the final frame. Girard entered after the first intermission and held Quinnipiac at bay the rest of the way.

The Bobcats took control early, netting two goals in the game's first four minutes. The first came off the stick of Bryce Van Brabant from the left side at the 2:01 mark. The second was scored by Kellen Jones from the right side just 86 seconds later. Matthew Peca looked to add to the lead midway through the period, snapping a shot from the high slot, but Steve Michalek lunged to his right to make a crucial save. He stopped 17 of 20 QU shots in the first period.

Everson cut the lead in half in the final five minutes of the period. After Fallstrom had a shot blocked on the left half wall, he recovered the puck and passed to Killorn, who in turn found McNally at the point. Eric Hartzell stopped the rookie's shot, but Everson dragged the puck in with his backhand. On the game's first power play, Loren Barron skated in from the left side and scored for a 3-1 QU lead.

In the second period, it was Harvard's turn to score twice in quick succession, with goals by Kroshus and Biega 19 seconds apart. Blackwell took the puck to the net, and he and Greiner had several swats at the puck before McNally made a left-to-right pass to Kroshus. The senior buried his shot to extend his point streak to four games.

Harvard got the puck deep in the offensive zone on the ensuing faceoff. Fallstrom moved the puck up the right wall, where Everson chipped it back to Biega at the point. The defenseman then beat Hartzell with a long shot. Girard made a tough save in the final minute to send the game to the second intermission tied at 3-3.

The Crimson gained the lead, 4-3, at 5:42. Rushing up ice, Blackwell got the puck from Greiner skated wide on the right side and fired a shot on Hartzell. Greiner followed up to put away the rebound and chase Hartzell from the game with 20 saves on 24 shots.

Strong work by the Fallstrom-Everson-Killorn line in the offensive zone led to a two-goal lead. The forwards cycled the puck out of the corner, and Killorn skated in from the right side. Instead of shooting, he threaded a pass through the crease to Fallstrom, who collected and scored in his first game back from injury.

Biega sealed the win with an empty-net goal 17 seconds from deep in his own end before the final whistle. Dan Ford blocked a QU shot and, after getting the puck back from Killorn passed to Biega behind their own net. Relief goalie Dan Clarke stopped seven of the eight shots he faced.