Blackwell, Harvard Men’s Hockey Rally to Tie Dartmouth, 2-2

All five of Blackwell's goals have been third-period tallies (photo courtesy Thom Kendall). Buy Now
All five of Blackwell's goals have been third-period tallies (photo courtesy Thom Kendall).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—Colin Blackwell netted the tying goal in the game's final seven minutes to complete a comeback from two goals down as the Harvard men's hockey team tied Dartmouth, 2-2, Tuesday night at Bright Hockey Center, extending the Crimson's unbeaten streak to five games.

Luke Greiner deflected home a Brendan Rempel shot for Harvard's first goal, and Steve Michalek made 29 saves, helping Harvard (6-6-9, 5-4-7 ECAC Hockey, 3-2-3 Ivy League) climb into a tie for third in the ECAC Hockey standings. The Crimson moved within one tie of the NCAA record of 10 in a season and tied the record for ECAC ties, set by Yale in 1991-92, Dartmouth in 2003-04 and Quinnipiac last season.

Blackwell tied the game with a power-play goal. From the right point, Danny Biega sent the puck toward the net, and Dartmouth's Jim Gaudet knocked it down in front. The puck found its way to Marshall Everson at the right post. He pushed it across to Blackwell, who banged in a high shot.

Jody O'Neill made four of his 26 saves in overtime, while Michalek stopped three Dartmouth shots in the extra session, forcing the second straight tie between the teams this season.

Dartmouth (9-9-3, 6-6-2, 2-3-2) held a 31-28 edge in shots, thanks in large part to its 26 blocked shots. Harvard finished 1 for 5 on power plays, including one that started just 1.6 seconds before the final horn, while the Big Green scored once in three chances.

The Crimson came out playing a physical game, as Tommy O'Regan, Ryan Grimshaw and Eric Kroshus all laid huge hits on Dartmouth players in the opening period. Neither team found the net. O'Regan had one of the best chances, after Patrick McNally circled the net and Dartmouth centered, but O'Neill got his left pad in front of the Crimson rookie's shot. The Big Green held a 7-6 shots advantage in the opening frame and held Harvard to one shot on the only power play.

Dartmouth's Brandon McNally broke through about seven minutes into the second period. He put in the rebound after Michalek stopped Mike Keenan's power-play point shot. The Big Green added another tally just 18 seconds later, when Alex Goodship scored, from Mark Goggin and Paul Lee.

The Crimson turned the momentum with its first power play of the period. The man advantage did not yield a goal, but Greiner halved the Dartmouth lead just 39 seconds after the penalty expired. Eric Kroshus won the puck on the left boards in the offensive zone and kept possession until he found an opening to Rempel at the right point. Greiner tipped in Rempel's shot from in front of the left post.

Harvard did not capitalize on its second power play of the frame, and the Big Green took the 2-1 advantage into the locker room after each team logged 11 second-period shots.

Blackwell got a chance to tie early in the third period, threading the puck through multiple Dartmouth defenders before O'Neill stopped his sliding shot. Later, a strong shift by the line of Greiner, Kroshus and David Valek generated several chances and pushed the momentum in the Crimson's favor before Blackwell later drew Harvard even.