Harvard Men’s Hockey Beats Brown, 3-1, to Finish Ivy Weekend Sweep

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—Eric Kroshus scored the tying goal and assisted Alex Killorn on the game-winner later in the third period as the Harvard men's hockey team came from behind to defeat Brown, 3-1, Saturday night at sold-out Bright Hockey Center, completing a weekend sweep of Ivy League opponents.

Steve Michalek made 24 saves to help his team claim sole possession of fourth place in the ECAC Hockey standings. Danny Biega sealed the win with a final-minute, empty-net tally from the corner of his own zone after Harvard (6-6-8, 5-4-6 ECAC Hockey, 3-2-2 Ivy League) entered the third period trailing by a goal. The Crimson killed all five Brown power plays.

The Crimson won a faceoff in its own zone to get the rally started. After Luke Greiner won the draw back to Ryan Grimshaw, the Harvard captain rimmed the puck around the boards behind Michalek to Kroshus on the right side. He passed ahead to David Valek. The junior circled behind the Brown net and fed a trailing Kroshus, who tied the game at the 4:06 mark.

Killorn scored his team-leading 14th goal and second third-period game-winner of the weekend during four-on-four play in the final eight minutes. Kroshus collected the puck in his own end, carried into the right side of the offensive zone and dropped a pass to Killorn. The senior faked a shot and moved to the slot before clanging a shot off the left post and into the goal behind Brown netminder Mike Clemente.

Harvard outshot Brown, 10-7, in the third period, while the Bears (8-10-3, 5-7-2, 2-4-0) held a 25-22 shots advantage for the game. Clemente finished with 19 saves.

The scoreless first period featured more hitting than scoring chances. Brown earned the only power play of the frame, but the Crimson killed it and got a shorthanded chance. Colin Blackwell made a great play to get the puck away from the Bears, but Clemente denied his backhand chance. Michalek, meanwhile, made 10 first-period saves.

Jarred Smith finally broke the deadlock at 2:34 of the second period. Francis Drolet carried the puck around the back of the Harvard net and fired it toward the crease from the right side. It hit a skate in front of the net, and Smith banged it home. Each team put eight shots on goal in the period.