Crimson Men’s Hockey Comes Back in Third, Ties No. 9 Cornell, 2-2

Everson has had a hand in six of Harvard's last seven goals (photo courtesy Gil Talbot). Buy Now
Everson has had a hand in six of Harvard's last seven goals (photo courtesy Gil Talbot).

ITHACA, N.Y.—Marshall Everson scored a goal and assisted on Alex Killorn's game-tying tally in the third period, as the Harvard men's hockey team rallied for a 2-2 tie against rival Cornell, ranked ninth nationally, Saturday night at sold-out Lynah Rink.

The result extended the school record for ties in a season that the Crimson (4-6-8, 3-4-6 ECAC Hockey, 1-2-2 Ivy League) set Friday. Harvard skated to its fourth draw in the last five league games. Steve Michalek made 19 saves, while Andy Iles logged 31 stops—11 on Crimson power plays—to help first-place Cornell (11-4-4, 8-1-3, 5-1-2) earn a point in the standings despite Harvard's 33-19 edge in shots on goal.

Killorn's tying goal came with less than eight minutes left. Everson worked the puck out of the right corner of the Cornell zone to Colin Blackwell behind the net. The rookie curled around the left side of the goal and found Killorn in front for the senior's team-leading 11th goal.

Luke Greiner led the Crimson with 12 faceoff wins and registered five shots in a game played in front of a crowd of 4,267. Killorn notched a team-high eight shots and won 11 draws. Everson registered his third straight two-point game.

The first period played out much like Harvard's night Friday at No. 18 Colgate. The hosts got on the board first, on Joel Lowry's high wrist shot from the left side at the 10:58 mark. Like the Raiders a night earlier, the Big Red took a late penalty and paid right away. Everson redirected Danny Biega's point shot past Iles after Biega exchanged passes at the point with Patrick McNally.

Harvard continued to pressure the Big Red after scoring, registering the final five shots of the period to lead in that category by an 8-6 margin at the first intermission.

The action was end-to-end in the second period, beginning in the opening minute, when Blackwell rang a shot off the crossbar.  The Crimson then generated several chances on a pair of consecutive power plays but could not get a puck past Iles. The Big Red got the next man advantage and capitalized on Joakim Ryan's slapshot from the top of the right circle.

The Crimson generated more opportunities late in the frame, but Iles turned away 13 shots, including one on a Blackwell breakaway and 10 on Harvard power plays, in the period. Michalek made seven saves. A Harvard highlight came when Colin Moore put a big hit on Cornell's Cole Bardreau, dumping him head-over-heels into the Big Red bench.

Michalek kept the Crimson within a goal early in the third period, sliding from his left post to the right to get a skate on Bardreau's wraparound attempt. Each team got a power-play chance in the middle of the period but could not convert. Instead, it was Killorn evening the score at even strength. The Crimson outshot the Big Red, 8-5, in the final regulation stanza.

All four shots on goal in overtime came off Harvard sticks, but Iles was there to preserve the point for the Big Red.