Harvard Men’s Hockey, Dartmouth Skate to 3-3 Tie

In addition to scoring, Seward won a game-high nine faceoffs (photo courtesy Kevin Burns).
In addition to scoring, Seward won a game-high nine faceoffs (photo courtesy Kevin Burns).

HANOVER, N.H.—Three different Crimson players scored goals and Danny Biega logged a pair of assists as the Harvard men's hockey team tied Dartmouth, 3-3, Friday night at Thompson Arena.

Mike Seward scored at even strength for Harvard (3-3-2, 2-3-2 ECAC Hockey, 0-2-1 Ivy League) in the first period, and Alex Fallstrom and Luke Greiner added power-play tallies to erase a pair of one-goal deficits in the second. Steve Michalek made 24 saves, while Max Everson blocked five shots.

The Big Green (4-4-1, 3-3-1, 1-1-1) took advantage of some fortunate bounces and 34 saves from James Mello to earn a point in the ECAC Hockey and Ivy League standings despite Harvard's 37-26 shots edge.

Seward's first collegiate goal gave Harvard the lead on a rush up the right side in the game's seventh minute. He fired a wrist shot past Mello after Dan Ford and Tommy O'Regan moved the puck up the ice.

Michalek, who made a tough save on Mark Goggin just before Seward's goal, preserved the lead with consecutive stops on Eric Robinson and Doug Jones. The Big Green, however, soon evened the score when Tyler Sikura intercepted a Harvard pass at the offensive blue line, went in alone and scored on a wrist shot of his own. The teams went to the first intermission tied at 1-1 despite Harvard doubling up Dartmouth in shots, 12-6.

Robinson put Dartmouth on top just 36 seconds into the second period, when his shot from the right side deflected off a stick and into a top corner. The Big Green got the game's first power play 50 seconds later, but the best chance of the two minutes came when Biega sprung Greiner for a shorthanded opportunity.

Harvard then sandwiched a pair of power-play goals around a Jones goal for Dartmouth. Fallstrom had the first. After Alex Killorn's one-timer off a Biega pass was stopped, the senior passed across to Fallstrom who buried his third goal of the season.

Jones took advantage when a referee collided with a Harvard player, causing a breakaway, but Greiner evened the score at 3-3. The junior tipped home a point shot from Biega after Colin Blackwell broke up a Dartmouth clear at the Big Green blue line. Harvard totaled 15 second-period shots.

Neither team scored in the third period despite a series of strong shifts from the Crimson in the Dartmouth zone in the final minutes. Michalek's most crucial save came on the first shift of overtime, when he stopped a point-blank backhand shot from Jones on the opening shift of the extra session.