Crimson Men’s Hockey Rallies Twice, Ties No. 19 Bobcats, 2-2

Valek's first goal of the year helped the Crimson earn its first point (photo courtesy Steve Babineau).
Valek's first goal of the year helped the Crimson earn its first point (photo courtesy Steve Babineau).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—David Valek scored the tying goal in the second period and Raphael Girard made 24 saves as the Harvard men's hockey team came from behind to tie No. 19 Quinnipiac, 2-2, Saturday night at Bright Hockey Center.

Conor Morrison and Valek each brought the Crimson (0-1-1, 0-1-1 ECAC Hockey) back from a goal down with second-period tallies. Harvard outshot the Bobcats (7-3-1, 1-1-1) in the third period and overtime, but neither Quinnipiac's Eric Hartzell nor Girard surrendered a go-ahead goal. Hartzell finished with 23 stops as the Bobcats held a 26-25 advantage in shots.

The Crimson shut down the Bobcats on three power plays, including two in the latter part of the third period. Girard came up big with three saves, and Rence Coassin nearly snuck a shorthanded goal through Hartzell's pads. Hartzell stopped a Killorn backhand immediately following the Harvard penalty kills as the Crimson outshot the Bobcats by a 9-8 margin in the frame.

Harvard had the only two shots in the extra period. Hartzell stopped Valek's shot from the left side on the rush and later slid over for tough save on a Luke Greiner one-timer from the right.

The Crimson won 42 faceoffs to Quinnipiac's 40, led by Killorn's 12-8 mark at the dot. Max Everson led the team with three blocked shots, and Quinnipiac's Zach Davies knocked down five.

The first period nearly passed without any goals or penalties, but the Bobcats changed that in the final two minutes. Jeremy Langlois scored after Matthew Peca backhanded a centering pass from the right side that Scott Zurevinski deflected to Langlois.

The Crimson quickly tied the score in the second period, on the game's first power play. Alex Fallstrom set up Killorn for a one-timer in front, and Morrison was waiting on the right side to cash in on the rebound. Colin Blackwell's would-be go-ahead goal—he knocked the puck in and net off nearly simultaneously—was waved off after video review.

The Bobcats regained the lead, 2-1, when a pass to Cory Hibbeler in front of the Harvard net from Loren Barron bounced off his Hibbeler's leg and into the goal. Valek knotted the game seven minutes before the intermission. Peter Starrett threw the puck to Daniel Moriarty in front. The senior was dumped with a crosscheck from behind, but Valek followed up to poke the puck under Hartzell.