Power Surge Continues; Harvard Men’s Hockey Tips Clarkson, 3-1

Power Surge Continues; Harvard Men’s Hockey Tips Clarkson, 3-1

Everson set up in front of the net for the point shots that led to both Harvard power-play goals (photo courtesy Steve Babineau).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—Marshall Everson redirected Ryan Grimshaw's point shot to break a third-period tie with less than six minutes remaining, lifting the Harvard men's hockey team to a 3-1 win against visiting Clarkson in the penultimate game of the regular season Friday night at Bright Hockey Center.

Everson's goal was the second power-play tally of the game for Harvard (8-19-1, 6-14-1 ECAC Hockey), which won for the fourth time in five games and has scored 11 power-play goals in the last five league games. Everson and Grimshaw also assisted on Alex Fallstrom's second-period goal, while Dan Ford had two assists, one on Alex Killorn's final-minute empty-netter. Ryan Carroll made 23 saves and has won his last four starts.

The winning goal came 15 seconds before the Crimson's fourth power play of the game was to expire. After a Harvard shot went wide of the left post, Fallstrom collected the puck behind the net and backhanded it to Grimshaw at the right point. He exchanged passes with Dan Ford before sending in a low shot that Everson tipped home.

Paul Karpowich made 32 stops for the Golden Knights (14-17-2, 8-12-1). Jake Morley scored Clarkson's goal at even strength.

Harvard committed just two penalties and has now killed its league opponents' last 15 power plays. The Crimson will celebrate Senior Night at Saturday's regular-season finale against St. Lawrence.

The Crimson kept the puck deep in Clarkson's end for much of the first period but could not break through for a lead. Daniel Moriarty and Ford had Harvard's best chances. Each forced a tough save by Karpowich with a wrist shot from the left side. Adam Pawlick had a close-in opportunity for the Golden Knights but was stopped by a sprawling Carroll. Harvard finished the period with a 10-6 edge in shots.

Harvard outshot Clarkson by a 15-9 count in the end-to-end second period, and each team scored once. After more than 34 minutes of scoreless play in the game, Fallstrom broke through. When Grimshaw's shot was knocked down next to the net, Everson pushed the puck across to Fallstrom, who put it away from in front of the left post.

Clarkson, however, answered just 34 seconds later. Morley took a turnaround shot from the left faceoff dot, and the puck found its way inside the left post to knot the score at 1-1. Teammate Matt Zarbo rang a shot off the right post earlier in the period.

Play was even for much of the third period until the deciding power play. Karpowich kept the game tied with an incredible save on Moriarty's chance from the goal line to his right, but Grimshaw and Everson put Harvard on top on the next shift. Killorn finished off the win with his team-leading 13th goal after Ford and Pier-Olivier Michaud moved the puck up the right-side boards. The Crimson outshot the Golden Knights in the final frame, 10-9.