Carroll, Power Play Guide Harvard Men's Hockey Past Brown, 2-1

Carroll, Power Play Guide Harvard Men's Hockey Past Brown, 2-1

Carroll has won his last three starts (photo courtesy Steve Babineau).

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—Ryan Carroll recorded 40 saves to make two first-period goals stand up as the Harvard men's hockey team defeated Brown, 2-1, Tuesday night at Meehan Auditorium in the 158th installment in college hockey's oldest rivalry.

Conor Morrison and Danny Biega scored power-play goals for the Crimson (7-19-1, 5-14-1 ECAC Hockey, 2-7-1 Ivy League). Biega added an assist, and defensive partner Chris Huxley logged two helpers. Pier-Olivier Michaud posted an 8-2 record on faceoffs, while Alex Fallstrom was 8-3. Alex Killorn registered six shots on goal. 

Carroll made 19 of his saves in the final period, and Harvard killed all four power plays for Brown (8-14-5, 6-12-2, 3-6-0). Mike Clemente made 18 saves for Brown. The Crimson went 2 for 8 on its own man-advantage chances. Harvard has scored nine power-play goals in the last four league games and has killed its ECAC opponents' last 13 power plays.

Harvard took the lead for good at 7:27 of the opening frame. Matt Wahl hauled down Killorn for a tripping penalty, and Morrison capitalized. Huxley got the puck at the top of the left circle from Danny Biega and found Morrison open on the right post. The sophomore slung home a high shot before Clemente could get across the crease.

Biega doubled the Crimson lead 10 minutes later, after Chris Zaires was called for boarding Harvard's Danny Fick. Daniel Moriarty moved the puck from the left corner to Huxley, who passed across to Biega at the right point. Biega sent a shot toward the net, and it deflected in off a Brown player and in for Biega's fourth goal in four games. Brown had most of its pressure in the opening minutes of the period and held a 9-8 shots edge at the intermission.

The Crimson continued to generate chances in the second period, thanks in part to four minor penalties by the Bears. Clemente, however, stopped all 11 shots Harvard put on net and got help from the goalpost on Killorn's deflection of a Huxley shot in the final minute. Carroll remained solid on the other end, keeping out 12 Brown shots.

After killing the final minute of their latest penalty, the Bears got off to strong start in the third period, pinning the Crimson in its own end on consecutive shifts. Carroll, however, saved all four shots in that sequence.

Bobby Farnham broke through for Brown at 8:08 of the third. He took a pass from Zaires, pulled the puck to his forehand and slid it in to trim Harvard's lead to 2-1. The Bears got a chance to tie with 4:44 showing on the clock, but Carroll made a fantastic glove save after Jimmy Siers worked free in front of the net.

The Bears continued to put shots on Carroll but would get no better chance than that, and the Crimson hung on for its third win in four games.