Harvard Men’s Hockey Scores Three on PP, Ties No. 20 Princeton, 4-4

Harvard Men’s Hockey Scores Three on PP, Ties No. 20 Princeton, 4-4

Killorn logged a game-high three points and five shots (photo courtesy Gil Talbot).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—The Harvard men's hockey team erased three different Princeton leads and scored a season-high three power-play goals en route to a 4-4 tie with the No. 20 Tigers Friday night at Bright Hockey Center.

Alex Killorn had the biggest shot of the night, tying the game with less than six minutes remaining, barely three minutes after Mike Kramer's second goal gave Princeton (14-8-2, 9-6-2 ECAC Hockey, 3-3-1 Ivy League) a third-period lead. After Danny Biega shot wide from the right point, Alex Fallstrom got the puck back to Chris Huxley high on the left side of the zone. Huxley sent the puck at the net, and Killorn knocked it down and past Princeton goalie Sean Bonar for the tying goal.

Rob Kleebaum also scored twice for Princeton. Killorn notched two assists for Harvard (4-18-1, 3-13-1, 0-7-1), while Huxley recorded a goal and an assist and Fallstrom had two helpers. Conor Morrison and Daniel Moriarty also dented the net for the Crimson.

Harvard trailed three times but only for a total of eight minutes, 26 seconds, as the Crimson erased each deficit within about three minutes.

The statistics reflected the even, end-to-end action on the ice. Each team had 33 shots on goal, six minor penalties and five power plays. Each goalie, Bonar and Harvard's Kyle Richter, registered 29 saves. Each side scored once with a two-man advantage, and neither led by more than a goal. The score was tied at the end of each period.

The Tigers got off to a strong start, recording seven of the game's first nine shots. Harvard gained momentum after head coach Ted Donato '91 called his timeout midway through the period, but Princeton still managed to get on the scoreboard first, when Kramer put in the rebound of an Andrew Calof shot at 15:17.

Morrison evened the score midway through the period. After Dan Ford shot wide of the goal from the left point, Pier-Olivier Michaud grabbed the rebound behind the net and passed to Morrison. The sophomore scored from low on the right side before Bonar could scramble across the crease. The Tigers held an 11-7 edge in first-period shots.

The second period featured four goals. Moriarty had the first, taking advantage of overlapping Princeton penalties. He banged in the rebound from the right side 65 seconds into the period, following Killorn's deflection of a Biega point shot. Kleebaum countered five minutes later with his own five-on-three goal and gave the Tigers their second lead, 3-2, at 12:27 of the second.

Harvard again answered quickly. Killorn got the puck to Fallstrom in the left corner, and the sophomore found Huxley, whose shot went through a Killorn screen and beat Bonar. Princeton owned a 12-10 shots advantage in the second stanza.

Kramer's shot from high on the right side on a rush gave the Tigers a 4-3 edge at 10:51 of the third period, but the Tigers could not get the puck past Richter after Killorn's tying tally. The Crimson outshot Princeton by margins of 12-8 in the third period and 4-2 in overtime.