Cornell Escapes Bright with 2-1 Win Against Harvard Men’s Hockey

Cornell Escapes Bright with 2-1 Win Against Harvard Men’s Hockey

Fallstrom found the net for the second straight night (photo courtesy Gil Talbot).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—Goaltender Andy Iles made 33 saves to allow Cornell to survive with a 2-1 win against the Harvard men's hockey team in the 135th renewal of one of college hockey's most storied rivalries Saturday night at sold-out Bright Hockey Center.

Iles stopped Harvard's last 22 shots after Alex Fallstrom scored to tie the game in the first period. The Crimson (4-16-0, 3-12-0 ECAC Hockey, 0-6-0 Ivy League) could not find an equalizer despite three power plays in the third period, coming close several times and outshooting the Big Red (9-9-3, 7-5-2, 2-3-1), 11-3, in the final 20 minutes.

Down 2-1 entering the third frame, the Crimson applied steady pressure on the Big Red throughout. On a power play with less than eight minutes to go, Harvard captain Michael Del Mauro charged toward the net for the loose puckfollowing an Iles save on Chris Huxley. The momentum of the play pushed Iles halfway into the net, but a lengthy review upheld the referees' call of no goal.

With about six minutes remaining, Conor Morrison set up a streaking Danny Biega for a one-timer at the left post, but Iles stopped the puck at the goal line with the back of his arm.

Harvard controlled the shot count from start to finish, registering 34 shots to Cornell's 20. Aided by an early Cornell penalty, Harvard exploded out of the gate, piling up seven shots in the first three minutes of the game. Cornell made its first shot count 4:45 into the game, as Mike Devin's slap shot found its way through traffic for a 1-0 Big Red lead.

The Crimson tied the score at 1-1 with 5:26 on the clock on Fallstrom's unassisted effort. Thwarting a Big Red breakout attempt, Fallstrom intercepted a short pass just above the hash marks and squeezed through two defenders before coming free and finding the net over Iles' blocker arm. Harvard outshot the Big Red, 13-10, in the first period.

Midway through the second period, Harvard had another great opportunity when Morrison slid a quick pass through adefender's leg to find Alex Killorn alone a few feet above the crease. Killorn attempted to gain an angle on Iles, stickhandling to the goaltender's left, but Iles' outstretched leg denied him and kept the score tied.

For most of the second period, the Crimson and the Big Red skated to a stalemate, but with 2:14 remaining in the period, Cornell's Locke Jillson scored a power-play goal to make it 2-1. Dustin Mowrey carried deep into the right side of the Harvard zone and found Jillson streaking toward the net for the finish from the doorstep. Harvard held a 10-7 edge in second-period shots.

Harvard nearly doubled up Cornell in faceoff wins, 30-16. Killorn posted a 7-3 record, while David Valek was 5-1 and Michael Del Mauro was 4-1. Killorn fired a game-high eight shots on goal, while Huxley logged five.