Harvard Men’s Hockey Falls at Northeastern, 3-0

Harvard Men’s Hockey Falls at Northeastern, 3-0

Alex Fallstrom registered three shots on goal in his second game back since missing 10 with an injury (photo courtesy Patrick Shanahan).

BOSTON—Northeastern scored once in each period and got 34 saves from Chris Rawlings to shut out the Harvard men's hockey team, 3-0, Wednesday night at Matthews Arena.

The Huskies (7-10-4) withstood a strong start by Harvard (3-13-0) and claimed the lead for good in the final minute of the first period. Raphael Girard made 34 saves in his first collegiate start and the first of three Crimson games in four days. It was the team's first game since 1997 at the 100-year-old Matthews, formerly known as Boston Arena and once a home rink for Harvard.

The Crimson came out firing. The game was barely five minutes old when Rawlings had already come up with four point-blank saves. By the 6:00 mark, the scoreboard showed a 7-2 shots advantage for Harvard. Girard's first tough saves came with his body on a nifty move by Braden Pimm and with his glove on a power-play point shot from Jamie Olekiak.

The Huskies survived a barrage on the other end around the 14:00 mark, with Wade MacLeod clearing a Matt McCollem shot off the goal line. They took the lead 53 seconds before the intermission, when Steve Quailer skated around the left side of the zone, moved back to the middle and slid the puck inside the far post. The play was reviewed because Pimm was standing in the Harvard crease when Quailer shot, but the goal stood up for a 1-0 NU lead after one period.

A tripping penalty aborted a Harvard power play to start the second period. Northeastern added a second goal soon after, as Pimm pounced on a long rebound and scored from the top of the left circle. The Crimson earned a power play in the final five minutes. Its best chance came when Marshall Everson's shot got through Rawlings but went wide of the right post.

Harvard registered the first four shots of the third period and got the first power play of the frame but could not convert. The Crimson, in turn, killed a Northeastern power play, but Mike McLaughlin's shot from the right side found its way in for a 3-0 NU lead that held up the rest of the way.