Big Green Rides First-Period Outburst to 5-2 Win Over Men’s Hockey

Big Green Rides First-Period Outburst to 5-2 Win Over Men’s Hockey

McCollem scored his first goal of the season and notched a team-high six shots on goal.

HANOVER, N.H.—Dartmouth scored four goals in a six-minute span of the first period and got 27 saves from James Mello over the final two frames to defeat the Harvard men's hockey team, 5-2, Saturday night at Thompson Arena.

Matt McCollem and Dan Ford scored for the Crimson (2-6-0, 2-6-0 ECAC Hockey, 0-3-0 Ivy League), which held a 29-18 shots edge over the final two periods but could only cut one goal off the lead of the Big Green (6-3-1, 5-2-1, 3-0-0), thanks to 31 total saves by Mello.

The win completed a sweep of a home-and-home weekend series for Dartmouth, which registered its first regular-season sweep of the Crimson since 1995-96. The Big Green blocked 24 Harvard shots and held a 42-33 shots edge for the game. Daniel Moriarty logged two assists for Harvard, while Ryan Carroll recorded 37 saves.

The game was scoreless and the shots were tied at four apiece shortly after David Valek's rush up the right side to force a save by Mello about five minutes into the game. The Big Green earned the game's first power play shortly thereafter and Harvard successfully defended it, but another Crimson penalty followed in the middle of the period. Dartmouth took advantage of its second power play, as Adam Estoclet scored from a crowd in front of the Harvard goal at 12:39 of the opening frame.

Carroll made a diving save on Scott Fleming to keep the score at 1-0, but Dartmouth soon built on its lead with three goals in 87 seconds. Matt Lindblad made it 2-0 at the 16:45 mark, and Taylor Boldt and Fleming followed at 17:27 and 18:12, respectively.

Harvard survived another Dartmouth power play early in the second period and then earned its first power play. McCollem capitalized, pushing the rebound of a Daniel Moriarty shot over the goal line after he was knocked down from behind. Alex Killorn, who sent the puck in front to Moriarty from out of the right corner, also assisted on the goal.

The Big Green then committed consecutive penalties but kept the Crimson from inching closer by killing a Harvard two-man advantage that lasted 52 seconds. Back at even strength, Mello made great back-to-back great saves on an acrobatic move by McCollem and a follow-up by Marshall Everson. Evan Stephens extended the lead back to four goals sending in a point shot that found its way through traffic and into the top corner of the net.

Carroll made a glove save on Rob Smith at the buzzer, and the Crimson went to the locker room with a 5-1 deficit despite a 16-10 edge in second-period shots.

The Crimson outshot the Big Green by a 13-18 margin in the third period and trimmed the Dartmouth lead to 5-2 at 19:21. Conor Morrison exchanged passes with Moriarty and, from the left corner of the offensive zone, found a trailing Ford. The rookie defenseman beat Mello with a low shot for his first collegiate goal. The Big Green earlier had a chance at another goal, but Carroll stopped a Dustin Walsh breakaway.

Morrison and Killorn extended their point streaks to three games, and freshman John Caldwell made his Crimson debut.