Quinnipiac Overcomes Crimson Rally, Tops Harvard Men's Hockey, 5-4

Quinnipiac Overcomes Crimson Rally, Tops Harvard Men's Hockey, 5-4

Coassin registered two points while playing in his hometown (photo courtesy Steve Babineau).

HAMDEN, Conn.—The Harvard men's hockey team scored three times in barely four minutes to tie the score late in the second period, but Quinnipiac's Ben Arnt netted his second goal of the game early in the third to lift the Bobcats to a 5-4 win Saturday night at TD Bank Sports Center. 

Colin Moore, Rence Coassin and Alex Killorn scored late in the second to tie the score at 4-4, but Arnt's goal from Russell Goodman gave the lead back to the Bobcats (7-4-1, 3-2-1 ECAC Hockey). Eric Hartzell protected that lead by making 10 of his 28 saves in the third period.

Conor Morrison also scored for Harvard (2-4-0, 2-4-0), while Ryan Carroll made 24 saves in a relief appearance. Coassin and Moore each registered a goal and an assist. Quinnipiac held a 38-32 shots advantage.

The first half of the opening period was full of end-to-end action, but neither team got on the board until a Quinnipiac power-play goal at 10:21. The Crimson entered the game with the nation's top penalty-killing percentage, but John Dunbar deflected in a shot for the Bobcats with the man advantage. Juri Bouharevich doubled the lead just 40 seconds later at even strength, skating up the right side and taking a shot that deflected off a Harvard defender and into the net.

Harvard got a goal back in the final minute of the period with Morrison's first tally of the season. Danny Biega had the initial shot from the left point, and Marshall Everson threw the rebound back to the net as he skated toward the left corner. Morrison came in from the right to put away the rebound. The Crimson held an 11-10 advantage in first-period shots.

The Bobcats took control, 4-1, on goals by Arnt and Kellen Jones in the first half of the second period, but the Crimson evened the score with a big comeback. Moore started the rally by putting away the rebound of a Michael Del Mauro shot at the 15:44 mark, after Coassin dumped the puck into the left corner to start the play.

Quinnipiac hoped to stem the tide with a power play, but Coassin turned the tables with a shorthanded goal. It came on the rush after Dan Ford moved the puck out of the corner of the defensive zone to Coassin, who passed across to Moore on the right side. Moore shot from the circle, and Coassin banged in the rebound off the right pad of Hartzell. Killorn knotted the score at 4-4 with just 14.6 seconds left in the period. He beat Hartzell from low on the left side after Eric Kroshus won the puck in the corner and Michael Biega passed out front.

Carroll, who entered the game after Quinnipiac's third goal, made 18 saves in the second period, including an outstanding right-to-left slide and split to rob Jones. Kyle Richter finished with nine saves.

Arnt gave scored the winning goal at 5:12 of the third period. Harvard held a 10-7 shots edge in the frame and looked for another late rally. The Crimson got plenty of pressure, but Hartzell was up to the task. His best and most important save of the night came in the final minute, when he reached back over his left leg to make a seemingly impossible glove stop on Everson.