Last-Minute Comeback Spurs Harvard Men’s Basketball to 82-77 Overtime Win Over Dartmouth

Christian Webster made four 3-pointers in the game, including three in the final two minutes of regulation (Gil Talbot).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's basketball team came back from a seven-point deficit with 1:10 remaining, and held off Dartmouth, 82-77, in overtime in a nationally televised game on NBC Sports Network Saturday afternoon.

Christian Webster made two 3-pointers and Siyani Chambers tied things up with a layup in the final moments to tie things up, 62-62. In overtime, the Crimson outscored the Big Green, 20-15, to improve to 10-6 overall and 2-0 in the Ivy League.

Chambers led Harvard with 21 points for the game, while Wesley Saunders scored 20 in 44 minutes, going 10-of-14 from the foul line. Jonah Travis added 16 points, and Webster notched 13 points, as he made 4-of-9 3-point attempts. Harvard finished 25-of-53 from the field (.472) and was 27-of-38 from the foul line (.711). Chambers led all players with seven assists.

Malik Gill and John Golden each scored 15 points for the Big Green, while Connor Boehm had a double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds. Dartmouth falls to 4-12 and 0-2 in the conference with the loss.

With 1:31 left in regulation, Webster knocked down a big 3-pointer, getting the Crimson back within seven, 57-50. On Harvard's next possession, Laurent Rivard stepped up and shot a 3-pointer, but was fouled. He headed to the charity stripe and made two of the three, 57-52.

Chambers drove the lane with 1:00 to go and connected on a layup, as the Crimson stayed within five points, 59-54. With Harvard down six, 60-54, Webster drained a triple with 40 seconds left, bringing the deficit to just three, 60-57. With the score, 62-57, Webster made another 3-pointer, this time making it a two-point game, 62-60.

After Dartmouth missed two foul shots, Chambers drove the lane and tied the game with a layup, 62-62, as the Crimson erased a seven-point deficit with 1:10 left.

In overtime, Harvard took its first lead since 2-0 when Rivard made a triple from the wing, 65-62. Saunders added a bucket the next trip down the floor, as the Crimson opened a five-point edge, 67-62. Harvard padded its lead with one foul shot by Chambers, 68-62, and then Moundou-Missi added an and-one, 71-64.

With 36.6 ticks left in the extra session, Dartmouth added two foul shots to get back within three, 76-73. The Big Green made it a three-point game again, 78-75, with 25 seconds remaining, Saunders put the Crimson back up by five by sinking two foul shots, and then Rivard put the game out of reach with two free throws of his own, 82-75.

Chambers drove the lane to bring the Crimson within two, 6-4, but the Big Green answered with a bucket on the other end to lead, 8-4, after the first three minutes of action. Dartmouth added two more baskets to go up, 12-4, but Webster snapped the scoreless streak for the Crimson with a trey from the corner, 12-7. With Dartmouth holding a 14-8 advantage, the Big Green added a trey to go up by nine, 17-8.

After the Big Green went up, 19-8, Jonah Travis drew contact going up for a dunk and made two foul shots, 19-10. Following a steal by Wesley Saunders, Travis added a layup on the break moments later, pulling the Crimson within seven, 19-12. Chambers followed with a jumper in the lane, extending the Crimson run to 6-0, 19-14.

With 4:01 to play, Travis made a layup from the left side of the hoop to cut the deficit to six, 23-17. Travis continued to have the scoring touch as he connected on another bucket to make it a five-point game, 24-19.

At the break, Dartmouth headed to the locker room up, 29-20. Travis led all players with 10 points in the opening 20 minutes. The Crimson shot only 33.3 percent from the field (7-of-21) in the first, while the Big Green was 13-of-23 (.565).

At the 18:30 mark of the second, Saunders drew contact before hitting a jump shot, as the Crimson got within 10, 32-22. Saunders sank another bucket in the lane on the next trip down the floor, as Harvard kept pace with Dartmouth, 34-24. After Chambers ran the length of the floor and finished with a layup on the break, 34-26, and then Saunders had another and-one, 34-29.  

With the Big Green leading by 10, Chambers cut the deficit to 39-31 when he drove the lane and finished with a bucket. With 13:43 to go, Saunders went to the charity stripe and converted both, keeping the Crimson within eight, 41-33. After Dartmouth added to its lead, 45-33, Steve Moundou-Missi made a layup, and Chambers hit the second of two free throws, 45-36.

Saunders grabbed an offensive board and put it back up for a basket, 45-38, but the Big Green scored the next five points to go up by 12, 50-38. Travis made a nice move down low and finished with a bucket, 50-40, and then added another two points the next trip down the floor to make it an eight-point game.

Saunders went to the line with Harvard down 11, 53-42, and made both to make it a nine-point contest. With Dartmouth holding a 57-44 edge, Travis was fouled attempting a layup. Travis made the bucket, but missed the foul shot, 57-46. Chambers drew a foul with 3:16 left and hit one to make it a 10-point game, 57-47, with just under 10 minutes to go.

Up next, the Crimson will host Yale and Brown at Lavietes Pavilion Feb. 1-2.