Field Hockey Drops 4-2 Decision to Dartmouth

Field Hockey Drops 4-2 Decision to Dartmouth

McGillvray netted her first goal of the season in the set back (photo courtesy Gil Talbot).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Despite outshooting its opponent, 27-10, the Harvard field hockey team dropped a 4-2 decision to Ivy League foe, Dartmouth Saturday afternoon at Jordan Field.

Harvard's (6-9, 1-5 Ivy) 27 shots, which included nine on target, was a season high for the Crimson. Harvard also held an advantage in penalty corners, 13-4. Jenn Hatfield turned away five attempts in the setback while Ellen Meyer notched 13 saves for Dartmouth (7-8, 3-3 Ivy).

The scoring started when Dartmouth (7-8, 3-3 Ivy) capitalized on its second corner of the day halfway through the first frame. Olivia Quaglia received the ball from Rebecca Hu at the top of the circle. Quaglia pulled Hatfield out of position in front of the net and found Becker at the left post. Becker sent the shot to the back of the cage to put the Big Green ahead, 1-0.

Harvard retaliated 4:30 later when Bridget McGillvray's buried her first goal of the season. McGillivray dribbled parallel to the left base line. The senior snuck the ball between the post and Meyer's leg to equalize the game at 1-1.

Following its own foul at the 27:29 minute mark, Dartmouth used a Harvard turnover to strike again. This time Jenna Schwenk netted her sixth goal of the season to put the Big Green back on top, 2-1.

The Crimson wasted no time to answer. Nearly two minutes later Marissa Balleza took off on a breakaway with no one except Meyer in the cage. A Big Green defender caught up to Balleza, but the freshman already sent a shot to the left side of the cage to knot to game at 2-2.

Harvard had the chance to take its first lead of the day with 45 seconds to play in the half. The Crimson were awarded three consecutive penalty corners that resulted in shots, but Meyer turned away two while the Big Green blocked one to keep the score even at intermission.

The Crimson controlled possession for the majority of the second frame taking eight shots on target in the first 10 minutes, but the Big Green's first shot of the half proved to be the difference. Quaglia pulled Hatfield out of the cage on a one-on-one. Hatfield made a stick save, but was called for a foul which resulted in a penalty stroke. From the hash, Quaglia sent a high shot that ricocheted off the inside of the cross bar and was ruled a goal by the referees to put the Big Green ahead for the final time, 3-2.

Becker's second penalty corner goal of the afternoon at the 53:51 minute mark secured the victory for Dartmouth, 4-2. Ali Savage was credited with the assist on the score.

The Crimson will return to Jordan Field tomorrow afternoon when it honors its seniors in its home regular season finale against Vermont.