Harvard opens the 2019 season at San Diego Saturday (Gil Talbot).
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- Harvard football will open its 146th season when the Crimson visits Pioneer League opponent San Diego Saturday, Sept. 21, at 4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT. The game will be streamed on the WCC Network and carried over the radio on Bloomberg WRCA (1330 AM/106.1 FM) in Boston.
The Crimson is coming off a 6-4 (4-3 Ivy League) season last year, while the Toreros stand at 0-2 on the season.
How to Follow
Broadcast – West Coast Conference Network (Talent: Jack Cronin)
Audio - Bloomberg Radio (Talent: Bernie Corbett and Mike Giardi '94)
Live Stats – San Diego
Game Notes: Harvard | San Diego
Podcast: Click Here for Audio
What to Know
• Saturday's game marks the fourth time Harvard and San Diego have met on the gridiron with the Crimson holding a 3-0 series lead
• This week's game will be Harvard's 1,323rd varsity football game. The Crimson has an all-time record of 875-397-50 (.681).
• Harvard has won 15 of the last 18 season openers (.833) and is an impressive 119-24-2 (.834) all-time in the first game of the season. Under current head coach Tim Murphy, the Crimson is 18-7 (.720) on opening day.
• Since Tim Murphy began patrolling the Harvard sideline in 1994, the Crimson is 43-15 (.741) in games played in the month of September. Harvard boasts a 34-8 (.810) mark in the month since 2001.
• With its win over San Diego on Sept. 15, 2018, the Crimson owns a record of 7-0 against current members of the Pioneer League.
At The Helm
In his 26th season, Harvard's all-time winningest head coach, Tim Murphy, enters this week's game with a 174-75 record with the Crimson and a 206-120-1 overall head coaching record, which includes five years at Cincinnati and two years at Maine. Since the formation of the Ivy League in 1956, only one Ivy coach has compiled more wins than Murphy's 174 and he is just one of eight coaches to win 100-plus games. Murphy also owns 122 Ivy League wins, third most all-time. Murphy has led Harvard to nine Ivy League championships (1997, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2015).
Harvard will host Brown in the Ivy League opener Friday, Sept. 27 at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcast live on ESPNews and ESPN+.