Women's Tennis Concludes Season with 4-3 Win over Dartmouth
Kristin Norton won a pair of matches to help Harvard beat Dartmouth to end the 2011-12 season (photo Gil Talbot).
HANOVER, N.H. – The Harvard women's tennis team won its season finale Saturday, a 4-3 victory over Ivy Leage foe Dartmouth. The Crimson won all three doubles matches and split the singles contests, 3-3.
Kristin Norton, Camille Jania and Kelly Whelan each won two matches for the Crimson, as the trio made up Harvard's three singles winners.
In tandem action, Harvard easily swept the host Big Green. Norton and Hideko Tachibana knocked off Akiki Okuda and Jeri Reichel, 8-6, and the other two doubles matches ended in 8-3 finals for the Crimson. Whelan paired with Natalie Blosser to breeze past Rachel Decker-Sadowski and Janet Liu in the second position, while Jania and Samantha Gridley beat Melissa Matsuoka and Theresa Smith.
In singles, Norton beat Janet Liu, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 2, while Jania won in the No. 3 position and Whelan fought back for a win at No. 6.
Jania beat Okuda, 7-6 (3), 6-3, in straight sets. The win was her team-leading 18th individual victory of the season.
With the match tied 3-3, Whelan provided Harvard with the tiebreaking victory in the No. 6 spot. After dropping her first set, 6-1, she stormed back for a pair of 7-5 wins in the second and third sets.
The win moved Harvard into a tie for third place in the final Ivy League standings with Columbia. The Crimson beat the Lions, 4-3, April 7.
Harvard 4, Dartmouth 3
Doubles (3-0 Harvard)
1. Tachibana/Norton (H) def. Okuda/Reichel (D) 8-6
2. Whelan/Blosser (H) def. Decker-Sadowski /Liu (D) 8-3
3. Gridley/Jania (H) def. Matsuoka/Smith (D) 8-3
1. Sarah Lenard (D) def. Hideko Tachibana (H) 7-6 (4), 6-1
2. Kristin Norton (H) def. Janet Liu (D) 6-4, 6-4
3. Camille Jania (H) def. Akiko Okuda (D) 7-6 (3), 6-3
4. Theresa Smith (D) def. Natalie Blosser (H) 6-2, 6-2
5. Sabrina Stewart (D) def. Samantha Gridley (H) 6-1, 1-6, 7-6 (4)
6. Kelly Whelan (H) def. Rachel Decker-Sadowski (D) 1-6, 7-5, 7-5