Hideko Tachibana improved to 5-4 during the dual season (photo Gil Talbot).
ORLANDO – Central Florida used solid singles play to get past Harvard, 5-2, and end the Crimson's four-match winning streak Sunday afternoon in sunny Orlando. Harvard ended its spring break trip with a 1-1 record after defeating No. 73 Iowa on Saturday.
The Crimson broke out to a 1-0 lead after a trio of lengthy doubles matches. Harvard won two of three in doubles with victories from Hanah Morrill and Kelly Whelan and Samantha Gridley and Natalie Blosser. Morrill and Whelan won a tiebreak set, 9-8 (7-5), while Gridley and Blosser took an 8-6 decision.
In singles, the Golden Knights shined as they emerged victorious in five out of six contests. Hideko Tachibana was the lone Crimson to win individually. She used three sets to beat Alexis Rodriguez, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3.
Tachibana, who was playing in the No. 1 position for the first time since Feb. 12, won her fourth consecutive singles match. The junior improved to 5-4 during the dual match season.
Harvard returns to action when it travels to Virginia March 24-25. The Crimson will meet William &Mary March 24 and Old Dominion March 25.
1. Genevieve Lorbergs/Courtney Griffith (UCF) def. Hideko Tachibana/Kristin Norton (HAR) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Hannah Morrill/Kelly Whelan (HAR) def. Alexis Rodriguez/Jenna Doerfler (UCF) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Samantha Gridley/Natalie Blosser (HAR) def. Taylor Dubins/Andrea Yacaman (UCF) 8-6
1. Hideko Tachibana (HAR) def. Alexis Rodriguez (UCF) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
2. Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) def. Kristin Norton (HAR) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Jenna Doerfler (UCF) def. Samantha Gridley (HAR) 7-5, 6-3
4. Taylor Dubins (UCF) def. Natalie Blosser (HAR) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Kelly Whelan (HAR) 6-4, 6-2
6. Courtney Griffith (UCF) def. Hannah Morrill (HAR) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3