Hannah Morrill won both her matches against the Quakers Saturday (Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard women’s tennis team secured its eighth victory of 2011 and remained unbeaten in Ivy League play, downing Penn, 6-1, Saturday at the Beren Tennis Center.
In doubles play, Samantha Rosekrans and Natalie Blosser captured an easy 8-2 win over Penn’s Emma Whitfield and Stephanie Do in the No. 3 match. Harvard’s Holly Cao and Hannah Morrill gave the Crimson the doubles point with an 8-5 victory over Jamie Yapp-Shing and Daniela DePaoli.
The Crimson dominated singles play, winning five of the six matches, four of them in straight sets. Hannah Morrill picked up her second win of the day with an exciting three-set win over Whitfield, 5-7, 6-0, 10-8. Samantha Gridley coasted to a 6-0, 6-4 win in the No. 5 match over Lauren Bridges, while Blosser toppled Do, 6-4, 6-4, in the No. 4 match.
Kristin Norton picked her 10th singles victory of the spring, trumping Alexa Ely, 6-4, 6-2. Hideko Tachibana rounded out the winning with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Yapp-Shing in the No. 2 match. In the No. 1 singles match, No. 23 Connie Hsu handed Cao her first singles loss in dual play, 7-6, 6-4.
The Crimson is back on the courts tomorrow when it hosts Princeton at noon.
1. Ely/Hsu(Penn) def. Tachibana/Norton(Harvard) 8-4
2. Cao/Morrill(Harvard) def. Yapp-Shing/DePaoli(Penn) 8-5
3. Rosekrans/Blosser(Harvard) def. Whitfield/Do(Penn) 8-2
2. Tachibana(Harvard) def. Yapp-Shing(Penn) 7-5, 6-2
3. Norton(Harvard) def. Ely(Penn) 6-4, 6-2
4. Blosser(Harvard) def. Do(Penn) 6-4, 6-4
5. Gridley(Harvard) def. Bridges(Penn) 6-0, 6-4
6. Morrill(Harvard) def. Whitfield(Penn) 5-7, 6-0, 10-8