No. 54 Women's Tennis Tops Columbia, 6-1
Kristin Norton (pictured) won both her singles and doubles matches against Columbia (Gil Talbot).
NEW YORK – The No. 54 Harvard women’s tennis team improved to 2-0 in Ivy League play, downing Columbia Saturday afternoon, 6-1. The victory puts the Crimson above .500 with a 7-6 record.
Holly Cao and Hannah Morrill once again secured Harvard’s first victory of the match, defeating Bianca Sanon and Tiana Takenaga, 8-1, in the No. 2 doubles match. The Crimson duo of Samantha Rosekrans and Natalie Blosser earned an 8-4 win in the No. 3 match, giving Harvard the doubles point. Kristin Norton and Hideko Tachibana completed the doubles sweep for Harvard, taking the No. 1 match, 8-4.
In singles play, the Crimson won five of six matches over the Lions. Cao kept her undefeated record intact, downing Nicole Bartnik, 6-1, 6-4, in the top singles match. Norton gave Harvard a 3-0 lead with a two-set victory over Katarina Kovacevic, 7-6(5), 6-3.
Morrill also tallied her second win of the day, toppling Takenaga, 6-3, 7-5, in the No. 6 match. Tachibana pushed her singles record to 8-4 this season with a 6-4, 6-4 win against Sanon. Blosser took down Natasha Makarova, 6-2, 7-6(5), to give Harvard the 6-1 win.
The Crimson returns home April 9 when it hosts Penn.
Harvard 6, Columbia 1
1. Holly Cao (HAR) def. Nicole Bartnik (COL) 6-1, 6-4
2. Hideko Tachibana (HAR) def. Bianca Sanon (COL) 6-4, 6-4
3. Kristin Norton (HAR) def. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) 7-6(5), 6-3
4. Natalie Blosser (HAR) def. Natasha Makarova (COL) 6-2, 7-6(5)
5. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) def. Samantha Gridley (HAR) 7-5, 6-1
6. Hannah Morrill (HAR) def. Tiana Takenaga (COL) 6-2, 7-5
1. Kristin Norton/Hideko Tachibana (HAR) def. Nicole Bartnik/Natasha
Makarova (COL) 8-4
2. Holly Cao/Hannah Morrill (HAR) def. Bianca Sanon/Tiana Takenaga (COL) 8-1
3. Samantha Rosekrans/Natalie Blosser (HAR) def. Katarina
Kovacevic/Ioana Alecsiu (COL) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,3,6,2,4,5)