No. 71 Maryland Bests No. 46 Women's Tennis, 6-1
Holly Cao won both her matches Sunday (photo courtesy Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The No. 46 Harvard women’s tennis team was defeated Sunday afternoon, 6-1, by No. 71 Maryland. The streaking Terrapins improve to 5-1, while the Crimson drop to 2-3.
Harvard took the court Sunday with a number of student-athletes fighting the flu, but was determined to battle through. In a slight shift in doubles pairings for the Crimson, Holly Cao joined Natalie Blosser in downing the Terrapins Jordan Hansbrough and Julia Huschke, 8-3, in the No. 2 doubles match. Maryland would recover and grab the other two doubles matches and the doubles point.
Cao, the 45th-ranked singles player in the country, secured a two-set victory over Jordaan Sanford in the No. 1 singles match. The Terrapins would go on to win the remaining matches, but not without a fight from the Crimson. Four of the six singles matches were decided in tough three-set contests.
Harvard will travel to Princeton, N.J. Friday to compete at the ECAC Indoor Championships. The tournament is scheduled to run Feb. 18-20.
1. Sanford/Sanchez(M) def. Tachibana/Norton (H) 8-3
2. Cao/Blosser (H) def. Huschke/Hansbrough (M)8-3
3. Belzunce/Luus (M) def. Rosekrans/Morrill (H) 9-7
1. Cao (H) def. Sanford (M) 6-4, 6-3
2. Sanchez (M) def. Tachibana (H) 6-4, 6-4
3. Belzunce (M) def. Norton (H) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Huschke (M) def. Blosser (H) 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
5. Hansbrough (M) def. Rosekrans (H) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
6. Luus (M) def. Gridley (H) 6-2, 0-6, 6-1.