Hideko Tachibana picked up her 10th dual match victory of the season this afternoon (photo courtesy of DSPics.com).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The Harvard women's tennis
team moved to 2-0 in Ivy League play after defeating Cornell, 5-2,
Saturday afternoon at the Beren Tennis Center. After dropping the
doubles point, the Crimson bounced back and won five of the six
doubles matches en route to the victory.
The Big Red picked up wins on all of the doubles courts, holding a 1-0 advantage going into singles play. Natalia Sanchez and Kristin Lim defeated sophomore Holly Cao and junior Samantha Rosekrans, 8-4, on court one. The freshman duo of Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton battled with Cornell's Christine Ordway and Sarah O'Neil, but fell, 8-6, in the No. 2 match, while sophomores Samantha Gridley and Caroline Davis dropped an 8-2 match on court three.
Despite falling in doubles play, the Crimson excelled in singles play as Cao kicked things off on court one with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Ordway. In the No. 2 match, Tachibana defeated Lim, 6-4, 6-3. Norton handed O'Neil a 6-3, 6-3 loss in the No. 3 spot. On court four, Rosekrans cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 win over Cornell's Natalia Sanchez. Junior Agnes Sibilski dropped her first set to Ruxandra Dumetrescu, 4-6, but battled back in the next two sets, 7-5, 10-6, to pick up the win for the Crimson. Freshman Alexandra Lehman suffered a 6-3, 6-0 loss in the No. 6 matchup.
The Crimson, currently on a four match winning streak, travels to Penn and Princeton next weekend. Harvard takes on the Tigers Friday afternoon at 2 p.m. and will face the Quakers at noon on Saturday.
1. N. Sanchez/K. Lim (Cornell) def. Cao/Rosekrans (Harvard) 8-4
2. C. Ordway/S. O'Neil (Cornell) def Tachibana /Norton (Harvard) 8-6
3. S. Sullivan/R. Dumestrescu (Cornell) def Gridley/Davis (Harvard) 8-2
1. Holly Cao (Harvard) def Christine Ordway (Cornell) 6-2, 6-1
2. Hideko Tachibana (Harvard) def Kristin Lim (Cornell) 6-4, 6-3
3. Kristin Norton (Harvard) def Sarah O'Neil (Cornell) 6-3, 6-3
4. Samantha Rosekrans (Harvard) def Natalia Sanchez (Cornell) 6-1, 6-0
5. Agnes Sibilski (Harvard) def Ruxandra Dumetrescu (Cornell) 4-6, 7-5, 10-6
6. Susan Sullivan (Cornell) def Alexandra Lehman (Harvard) 6-3, 6-0