Women's Tennis Ends Road Trip With Sweep of Fresno State
Alex Lehman picked up a win in the No. 5 singles match (photo courtesy of DSPics.com).
FRESNO, Calif. - In the final test of a
seven-match road stand, the Harvard women's tennis team came away
with a 7-0 win over the Fresno State Bulldogs. The Crimson won two
of three doubles matches for the doubles point and then went on to
sweep the singles matches for the win.
Sophomore Holly Cao and junior Samantha Rosekrans kicked off the afternoon with an 8-3 victory in the No. 1 doubles match over Laura Pola and Renata Kucerkova. The dreshman duo of Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton clinched the doubles point for the Crimson with an 8-6 win over Melissa McQueen and Bianca Modoc in the No. 2 doubles position. Sophomore Caroline Davis and freshman Alex Lehman fell in the No. 3 doubles match, 8-6.
Sophomore Samantha Gridley claimed the first singles point for the Crimson with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Anna Mikhailova on court 6. Tachibana dropped the first set, 2-6, in the No. 2 match but won both the second and third sets, 6-1, to pick up the win over Pola. Norton clinched the match victory for Harvard with a 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) win over Modoc on court 3. Rosekrans and McQueen split the first two sets, 6-2, 2-6, on court 4, but Rosekrans came out on top, 6-2, in the third set to pick up the fifth point of the afternoon for the Crimson. On court 1, Cao defeated Kucerkova, 6-2, 7-5. In the final match of the afternoon, Lehman and Julia Gragera-Cano battled in the first set as Lehman won, 7-5. Gragera-Cano picked up a 2-6 win in the second set, but Lehman fought back and won the third, 7-5.
The Crimson returns to its home courts April 2 and 3 to open Ivy League play against Columbia and Cornell.
1. Cao/Rosekrans (HAR) def. Pola/Kucerkova (FS), 8-3
2. Tachibana/Norton (HAR) def. McQueen/Modoc (FS), 8-6
3. Gragera-Cano/Mikhailova (FS) def. Davis/Lehman (HAR), 8-6
Order of Completion: 1, 2, 3
1. Holly Cao (HAR) def. Renata Kucerkova (FS), 6-2, 7-5
2. Hideko Tachibana (HAR) def. Laura Pola (FS), 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Kristin Norton (HAR) def. Bianca Modoc (FS), 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Sam Rosekrans (HAR) def. Melissa McQueen (FS), 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
5. Alex Lehman (HAR) def. Julia Gragera-Cano (FS), 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
6. Sam Gridley (HAR) def. Anna Mikhailova (FS), 6-3, 6-0
Order of Completion: 6, 2, 3*, 4, 1, 5