Logan Weber finished 3-1 with two doubles wins and one singles victory in matches against Tennessee and Bryant. (Dean Bauer)
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's tennis team split dual matches against Tennessee and Bryant today at the Murr Center Tennis Courts, with the Crimson picking up the win against Bryant, 5-2, in an evening dual match after falling to Tennessee by the same score earlier in the day.
"It was a total team effort today," said associate head coach Andrew Rueb. "These double headers really test the limits of players and their stamina – both physically and emotionally – and they responded to the challenge.
Playing without No. 1 singles player Sebastian Beltrame, the Crimson shuffled the singles lineup against the Vols with junior Kenny Tao and senior Brian Yeung playing in the No. 1 and 2 singles spots, respectively. Both Tao and Yeung earned three-set victories – Tao a 7-6 (11), 4-6, 6-3 winner over Timo Stodder, and Yeung, a 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (1) victory against Luis Valero.
"We had some special wins at the top of the line-up, with Kenny and Brian winning at No. 1 and 2 singles against a strong SEC team," Rueb said. "To see both Kenny and Brian step up and notch victories was a huge accomplishment. It really shows they can play with anyone in the country."
Earlier in the day, Harvard's Christopher Morrow and Michael Peters won in the No. 3 doubles spot (6-4), but the Crimson were edged in the remainder of singles and doubles matches.
In evening matches, Jean Thirouin, Grant Solomon, Beren, and Logan Weber earned singles wins against Bryant after Harvard clinched the doubles point by sweeping all three doubles matches.
"Against Bryant the players got another chance to execute their games and commit to their patterns," Rueb said. "We also got more players into the action. We saw great wins from Sam Beren and Logan Weber in singles, along with Jean Thirouin and Grant Solomon."
Harvard will hit the road next weekend (Feb. 4-5) to take on No. 10 Northwestern and Boise State in dual matches in Evanston, Ill..
HARVARD 5, BRYANT 2
1. Matt Kuhar, Bryant def. Andy Zhou, Harvard, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 1-0 (10-4)
2. Jean Thirouin, Harvard def. Luke Lorenz, Bryant, 6-1, 6-1
3. Grant Solomon, Harvard def. Michael Plutt, Bryant, 6-0, 7-6 (3)
4. Samuel Beren, Harvard def. Jorge Ortiz-Garcia, Bryant, 6-1, 6-4
5. Logan Weber, Harvard def. Artur Jakubowski, Bryant, 6-2, 6-7 (5), 1-0 (10-7)
6. Oliver Welsh, Bryant def. Michael Peters, Harvard, 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (10-2)
1. Yeung/Tao, Harvard def. M. Plutt/Nick Lamart, Bryant, 6-1
2. Morrow/Weber, Harvard def. Josh Kliger/Ortiz-Garcia, Bryant, 6-4
3. Beren/Peters, Harvard def. Jakubowski/Lorenz, Bryant, 7-6 (0)
TENNESSEE 5, HARVARD 2
1. Kenny Tao, Harvard, def. Timo Stodder, UT, 7-6(11), 4-6, 6-3
2. Brian Yeung, Harvard, def. Luis Valero, UT, 1-6, 6-3, 7-6(1)
3. Srdjan Jakovljevic, UT, def. Jean Thirouin, Harvard, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6(2)
4. Scott Jones, UT, def. Andy Zhou, Harvard, 6-4, 6-4
5. Jack Schipanski, UT, def. Grant Solomon, Harvard, 7-5, 7-6(4)
6. Luca Wiedenmann, UT, def. Logan Weber, Harvard 6-0, 6-0
1. #26 Valero/Schipanski, UT, def. Yeung/Tao, Harvard, 6-4
2. #47 Stodder/Jones, UT, def. Thirouin/Peters, Harvard, 6-4
3. Morrow/Weber, Harvard, def. Jakovljevic/Wiedenmann, UT, 6-4