Final Berth Clinched As No. 28 Men’s Tennis Blanks San Diego, 4-0
Brian Yeung helped Harvard clinch its second doubles point of the tournament Friday (Photo: Dean Bauer).
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The No. 28 Harvard men's tennis team earned the right to defend its tournament title at the Mission Valley Spring Classic, blanking co-host San Diego, 4-0, Friday on its annual spring break trip. The Crimson earned its fifth straight win and improved to 10-4 on the season.
The doubles once again powered the Crimson in the early part of the match. Harvard's third team of Christo Schultz and Sebastian Beltrame made short work of Andrew Raphaelson and Ciaran Fitzgerald, sprinting to an 8-1 win. The second duo of Brian Yeung and Alex Steinroeder was not far behind, clinching the doubles point with an 8-5 victory.
Freshman singles specialist Andrew Ball continued his stretch of strong play, collecting the first singles win of the day for the Crimson, a prompt, 6-4, 6-0, win on the sixth court. Junior Shaun Chaudhuri put the Crimson within one point of the victory with his own straight-set win at No. 3, powering to a 7-6 (4), 6-4 victory. The rookie Beltrame needed three sets to clinch his singles win, but propelled the Crimson to the shutout win with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 final at second singles.
Harvard will face No. 39 Drake Saturday in the tournament finale, which represents a rematch of the 2013 tournament final.
2. Brian Yeung/Alex Steinroeder (HU) def. Romain Kalaydjian/Uros Petronijevic (USD) 8-5
3. Christo Schultz/Sebastian Beltrame (HU) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Andrew Raphaelson (USD) 8-1
1. #59 Clarke Spinosa (USD) #37 Denis Nguyen (HU) 7-6(1), 5-6 DNF
2. #103 Sebastian Beltrame (HU) def. Uros Petronijevic (USD) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
3. Shaun Chaudhuri (HU) def. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) 7-6(4), 6-4
4. Filip Vittek (USD) vs. Brian Yeung (HU) 6-4, 4-1 DNF
5. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) vs. Alex Steinroeder (HU) 7-5, 4-5 DNF
6. Andrew Ball (HU) def. Geoffrey Fosso (USD) 6-4, 6-0