Nicky Hu provided the match-clinching point for Harvard to lay claim to a share of the Ivy League crown (Gil Talbot).
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The No. 22 Harvard men's tennis team clinched a share of the 2013 Ivy League title and extended its winning streak to 12 matches with a 5-2 defeat of No. 57 Yale on Sunday afternoon. The Crimson improved to 17-4 on the year and 5-0 in Ancient Eight contests.
As it has throughout its current win-streak, Harvard looked strong in doubles play and easily secured the doubles point. The country's No. 52 doubles tandem of Denis Nguyen and Casey Mac Master controlled play against Daniel Hoffman and Mark Power for a quick 8-5 win. Andy Nguyen and Nicky Hu took an 8-5 decision from the Bulldogs on court two. With the point awarded to Harvard, Kelvin Lam and Alex Steinroeder's match on court three was halted.
The Crimson continued its dominance in singles play. Kelvin Lam razed Jason Brown, 6-2, 6-1, to give Harvard a point from singles court No. 6. Steinroeder added to the team total by topping Martin Svenning in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4, on court four and Shaun Chadhuri picked up a point for Harvard when Powers retired from their match at No. 2 singles. But the match-clincher came from Nicky Hu, who subdued Zach Dean, 6-4, 6-2, to give the Crimson a share of the league crown.
Yale managed to get on the board with three-set wins on singles courts one and three. The No. 1 court saw Huang outlast D. Nguyen, 4-6, 7-5, 10-3, while the third court witnessed Hoffman fend off Andy Nguyen, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5.
The Crimson will attempt to clinch a second consecutive Ivy League title outright when it takes on Brown Thursday, April 25.
Harvard 5, Yale 2
1. No. 52 Denis Nguyen/Casey MacMaster (H) def. Daniel Hoffman/Mark Powers (Y); 8-5
2. Nicky Hu/Andy Nguyen (H) def. John Huang/Chase (Y) def.); 8-5
3. Kelvin Lam/Alex Steinroeder (H) vs. Martin Svenning/Sainntz (Y); DNF
1. Huang (Y) def. D. Nguyen (H); 4-6, 7-5, 10-3
2. Shaun Chaudhuri (H) def. Powers (Y); 7-5, ret.
3. Hoffman (Y) def. A. Nguyen (H); 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
4. Steinroeder (H) def. Svenning (Y); 6-2, 6-4
5. Hu (H) def. Zach Dean (Y); 6-4, 6-2
6. Lam (H) def. Jason Brown (Y); 6-2, 6-1