No. 23 Harvard Men's Tennis Advances to Final with 4-1 Win at No. 37 San Diego State
Denis Nguyen (pictured) won 12 of his last 13 singles games Friday.
SAN DIEGO—The No. 23 Harvard men's tennis team earned a chance play for the Mission Valley Spring Classic title after handling host San Diego State, 4-1, Friday at Aztec Tennis Center.
The Crimson (11-4) won its sixth straight match and ended a four-match win streak for the Aztecs (12-5), advancing to face No. 20 Drake in the tournament final at 2 p.m., 5 Eastern, Saturday. Southern California native Denis Nguyen led Harvard with a singles win and doubles win, as the Crimson took three of the four completed singles matches and the first two doubles contests.
The match started and ended with Denis Nguyen wins. The sophomore teamed up with Casey MacMaster to edge Thorsten Bertsch and Hunter Nicholas, 8-6, at No. 1 doubles while Kelvin Lam and Alex Steinroeder picked up an 8-3 win at No. 3.
In singles, Andy Nguyen and Nicky Hu continued the Crimson win streak with straight-set victories. Andy Nguyen cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win against Marvin Tawasi at No. 4. Hu's match at No. 5 was the next to finish, with the Harvard rookie downing Juan Florex, 6-3, 6-1.
Nicholas got San Diego State on the board by taking a second-set tiebreaker to defeat Steinroeder, 6-2, 7-6 (5-0) at No. 3.
The lone three-set encounter of the day came at the top singles spot. Derek Siddiqui posted a 6-2 win against Denis Nguyen in the opening set, but Nguyen lot just one game over the final two sets, 6-0 and 6-1, to clinch the team victory.
1. Denis Nguyen (Harvard) def. No. 74 Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
2. No. 112 Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) vs. Shaun Chaudhuri (Harvard) 6-4, 1-2, unfinished
3. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) def. Alex Steinroeder (HU) 6-2, 7-6 (5-0)
4. Andy Nguyen (Harvard) def. Marvin Tawasi (SDSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Nicky Hu (Harvard) def. Juan Florez (SDSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Andranik Khachatryan (SDSU) vs. Kelvin Lam (Harvard) 7-6 (2-0), 1-6, unfinished
1. No. 67 Denis Nguyen/Casey MacMaster (Harvard) def. Thorsten Bertsch/Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) 8-6
2. Derek Siddiqui/Andranik Khachatryan (SDSU) vs. Andy Nguyen/Nicky Hu (Harvard) 8-8, unfinished
3. Kelvin Lam/Alex Steinroeder (Harvard) def. Juan Florez/Marvin Tawasi (SDSU) 8-3