No. 23 Men’s Tennis Picks Up Pair Of Wins In Sunday Special
Shaun Chaudhuri didn't drop a set Sunday in a pair of singles victories (Harvard Athletic Communications).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – A long day for the No. 23 Harvard men's tennis team ended with the Crimson claiming a pair of dual match victories Sunday at the Murr Center Tennis Courts. Harvard (9-4) began the day by edging Louisville (8-6), 4-3, and picked up a convincing 6-1 victory over Boston University (4-2) in the afternoon affair.
Doubles once again proved to be the deciding factor for the Crimson in the match against the Cardinals, as the Crimson took two of three doubles courts to jut out to a 1-0 lead. Harvard's top team of Casey MacMaster and Denis Nguyen earned a break and held on to secure an 8-5 win over Albert Wagner and Alex Gomet. Louisville's No.2 team of Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Amaury Damrongsri bested Harvard's second tandem of Andy Nguyen and Nicky Hu, 9-7, but Harvard's third team of Alex Steinroeder and Kelvin Lam returned the favor, securing a 9-7 win of their own at No. 3 to earn the doubles point.
Shaun Chaudhuri earned the most convincing win of the match for Harvard in singles action, topping Wagner on the second court, 6-4, 6-2. Hu followed suit with a straight-set win of his own, downing Luis Elizondo, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 5, giving Harvard three points on the day. Denis (No. 1) and Andy Nguyen (No. 4) dropped their singles matches, with Denis Nguyen's going to a third set, but Alex Steinroeder clinched the match for Harvard with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-4 three-set victory at third singles.
The Crimson put out a different but dominant lineup in the afternoon showdown with Boston University, and began the match by cruising to the doubles point. Andy Nguyen and Hu moved up a spot to No. 1 doubles and downed Josh Friedman and Chanon Varapongsittikul, 8-2, while MacMaster and Lam blanked Jesse Frieder and Emilio Teran at No. 2, 8-0. Steinroeder teamed with Conor Haughey at third doubles to secure an 8-5 win over Michael Kopelman and Stefan Lemire.
Chaudhuri (No. 1) and Henry Steer (No. 4) cruised to singles victories, both recording 6-1, 6-0 wins on the day. Lam picked up a straight-set win at No. 3 over Frieder, 6-3, 6-2, as did Haughey at No. 5 over Kopelman, 6-2, 7-5. Andy Nguyen worked for a three-set win over Varapongsittikul at No. 2, 6-4, 1-6, 1-0, to secure Harvard's final singles victory on the evening.
Up next, the Crimson wings west for its spring break trip March 21-23, when it will take part in the Mission Valley Spring Classic in San Diego, Calif.
Harvard 4, Louisville 3
1. Casey MacMaster/Denis Nguyen (H) def. Alex Gornet/Albert Wagner (L), 8-5
2. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Amaury Damrongsri (L) def. Andy Nguyen/Nicky Hu (H), 9-7
3. Alex Steinroder/Kelvin Lam (H) def. Austin Siegel/Michael Lippens (L), 9-7
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (L) def. Denis Nguyen (H), 7-6, 6-7, 10-6
2. Shaun Chaudhuri (H) def. Albert Wagner (L), 6-4, 6-2
3. Alex Steinroeder (H) def. Chris Simich (L), 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
4. Michael Lippens (L) def. Andy Nguyen (H), 6-3, 6-2
5. Nicky Hu (H) def. Luis Elizondo (L), 6-4, 6-3
6. Austin Siegel (L) def. Henry Steer (H), 6-2, 6-0
Harvard 6, Boston University 1
1. Nicky Hu/Andy Nguyen (H) def. Josh Friedman/Chanon Varapongsittikul (B), 8-2
2. Casey MacMaster/Kelvin Lam (H) def. Jesse Frieder/Emilio Teran (B), 8-0
3. Alex Steinroeder/Conor Haughey (H) def. Michael Kopelman/Stefan Lemire (B), 8-5
1. Shaun Chaudhuri (H) def. Josh Friedman (B), 6-1, 6-0
2. Andy Nguyen (H) def. Chanon Varapongsittikul (B), 6-1, 4-6, 1-0
3. Kelvin Lam (H) def. Jesse Frieder (B), 6-3, 6-2
4. Henry Steer (H) def. Emilio Teran (B), 6-1, 6-0
5. Conor Haughey (H) def. Michael Kopelman (B), 6-2, 7-5
6. Alex Hallenbeck (B) def. Brendan Seaver (H), 6-4, 5-7, 1-0