No. 20 Harvard Men's Tennis Splits Its First Ivy League Weekend
Freshman Denis Nguyen went 2-0 in singles play during Harvard's first Ivy League weekend, as the team split against Cornell and Columbia. (Gil Talbot)
The No. 20 Harvard men's tennis team opened up Ancient Eight play on the road with a two-game split over the weekend, as the Crimson took down Cornell, 7-0 on Friday night, and fell to Columbia 5-2 on Saturday. Harvard went 4-2 in doubles action and 7-4 in singles play during the weekend, as the team is now 17-2 (1-1) on the year.
In Saturday's match against the Big Red, Harvard earned the doubles point to start the match, as Senior Jon Pearlman and sophomore Christo Schultz took down Alex Sidney and Danny Riggs, 8-3, and freshman Denis Nguyen and junior Andy Nguyen defeated Venkat Iyer and Quoc-Daniel Nguyen, 8-5, to record the doubles point.
In singles action against Cornell Harvard swept positions one through six as the Crimson singles competitors were perfect in the match. In the No. 1 spot Pearlman downed Iyer 6-3, 6-2 while Denis Nguyen competed out of the No. 2 position and defeated Sam Fleck, 7-5, 3-6, (10-8). Schultz won his match in the No. 3 slot taking down Riggs, 6-1, 6-3 and freshman Shaun Chaudhuri continued his winning ways as he beat Jason Luu, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4. Freshmen Alex Steinroeder and Henry Steer won their matchups in the No. 5 and No. 6, respectively, as Steinroeder downed Alex Sidney, 6-1, 6-4, and Steer defeated Nguyen, 7-6, 6-2.
On Saturday the Crimson were slated to take on Columbia, who entered the contest 2-0 in the Ivy League. With doubles play taking place first it was the Lions who tallied the first win as the team of Haig Schneiderman and Winston Lin defeated freshman Denis Nguyen and Andy Nguyen, 8-3. Harvard was able to fight back in the next two matches as the No. 44 ranked tandem in the nation, senior Alistair Felton and sophomore Casey MacMaster tallied a win against Max Schnur and Ashok Narayana, 8-5. Pearlman and Schultz followed suit as they downed Nathaniel Gery and John Yetimoglu in a tight contest, 9-8 (8-6).
The Crimson entered singles play up 1-0 but Columbia took control early. Lin defeated Pearlman in the No. 1 position, 6-1, 6-2. Meanwhile Denis Nguyen helped to put Harvard back on top 2-1, defeating Haig Schneiderman, 6-4, 6-2. The Lions were able to control play the rest of the way as they secured wins in the No. 3 through No. 6 positions. Schultz fell to Nathaniel Grey in the No. 3 spot, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 while Narayana downed Chaudhuri in the No. 4 slot, 6-3, 1-6, 6-2. Bert Vancura defeated Steinroeder, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 while Tizian Bucher won against Steer in the No. 6 position, 7-5, 6-4.
The Crimson will now prepare for its first home Ivy League matches next weekend as it welcomes Penn and Princeton to the Beren Tennis Center on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. Both matches are slated for 2 p.m. start times.
Full results from this weekend's action can be found below:
#20 HARVARD 7, CORNELL 0
Saturday, April 7
At Reis Tennis Center; Ithaca, N.Y.
1. Jonathan Pearlman (H) def. Venkat Iyer, 6-3, 6-2
2. Denis Nguyen (H) def. Sam Fleck, 7-5, 3-6, (10-8)
3. Christo Schultz (H) def. Danny Riggs, 6-1, 6-3
4. Shaun Chaudhuri (H) def. Jason Luu, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
5. Alex Steinroeder (H) def. Alex Sidney, 6-1, 6-4
6. Henry Steer (H) def. Quoc-Daniel Nguyen, 7-6, 6-2
1. Fleck/Luu (C) def. #44 Casey MacMaster/Alistair Felton, 8-5
2. Pearlman/Schultz (H) def. Sidney/Riggs , 8-3
3. Andy Nguyen/D. Nguyen (H) def. Iyer/Q-D Nguyen, 8-5
Harvard 17-1, 1-0 Ivy; Cornell 7-13, 0-2
1. #44 Alistair Felton/Casey McMaster (HARV) def. Max Schnur/Ashok
Narayana (COL) 8-5
2. Jonathan Pearlman/Christo Schultz (HARV) def. Nathaniel Gery/John
Yetimoglu (COL) 9-8 (8-6)
3. Haig Schneiderman/Winston Lin (COL) def. Andy Nguyen/Denis Nguyen
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2*
1. Winston Lin (COL) def. Jonathan Pearlman (HARV) 6-1, 6-2
2. Denis Nguyen (HARV) def. Haig Schneiderman (COL) 6-4, 6-2
3. Nathaniel Gery (COL) def. Christo Schultz (HARV) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Ashok Narayana (COL) def. Shaun Chaudhuri (HARV) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
5. Bert Vancura (COL) def. Alex Steinroeder (HARV) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Tizian Bucher (COL) def. Henry Steer (HARV) 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 6, 4, 5*, 3