Pictured: Alexei Chijoff-Evans earned a win at the No. 1
Photo courtesy: DSPics.com
ITHACA, N.Y.- The Harvard men's tennis team suffered its second-straight Ivy League loss on the season. The Crimson fell to the Big Red, 5-2, Saturday afternoon at the Reis Tennis Center. Harvard falls to 9-10 on the year and 0-2 in the Ivy League. Cornell is now 15-6 overall and owns a 2-1 mark against Ancient Eight opponents.
The Big Red managed to pick up two wins in the doubles portion of the match to secure the doubles point. The Crimson's lone doubles win came at the No. 2 position as Alistair Felton and Andy Nguyen partnered up to claim an 8-3 victory.
Alexei Chijoff-Evans secured Harvard first point of the day, winning at the top singles slot, 6-4, 6-4. Joshua Tchan clinched the Crimson's second singles win. The freshman handed Cornell's Jeremy Feldman a 6-4, 7-6 loss at the No. 3 position. Felton jumped out to an early lead at the No. 4 slot, winning the first set 6-4. The Big Red's Jonathan Fife evened the score at one set each and claimed the match with a 6-4 win in the third set. Davis Mangham forced a third set at the sixth singles slot as he earned the second set with a 7-5 showing. Mangham fell in the deciding set 6-2 to Mirza Klis of Cornell.
Harvard looks to clinch its first Ivy League win of the 2010 campaign next weekend. The Crimson will host Princeton, April 9, and Penn, April 10.
1. Gauthier/Feldman (COR) def. Omodele-Lucien/Schultz (HAR); 8-6
2. Felton/Nguyen (HAR) def. Jaklitsch/Klis (COR); 8-3
3. Fife/Bernstein (COR) def. Chijoff-Evans/Tchan (HAR); 8-6
1. Chijoff-Evans (HAR) def. Gauthier (COR); 6-4, 6-4
2. Jaklitsch (COR) def. Omodele-Lucien (HAR); 6-1, 7-6
3. Tchan (HAR) def. Feldman (COR); 6-4, 7-6
4. Fife (COR) def. Felton (HAR); 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Bernstein (COR) def. Schultz (HAR); 6-3, 6-4
6. Klis (COR) def. Mangham (HAR); 6-3, 5-7, 6-2